Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gnass again

Re: Gnass again

Are they anywhere near Humbolt County

Seriously - they are as friendly as can be, and the lens cases are great, but WTF!

I like my Gnass lens cases but both a web and a phone order went way less than okay.

JG, you wanna know how to do business: place a phone order with Really Right Stuff - then send one of the items back. No misery, no grief, no repeated phone calls.

Photographer

I ordered a lens case recently and it shipped very fast. My guess is that they don't carry a lot of inventory, and frequently have to make products as the orders come in. Sounds like they could work on communication though.
    Keith Pitman

I too have had very good service from them. I have 2 lens cases that I purchased at separate times and they were shipped promptly and are of excellent quality. I called Justin to order an additional divider for one of the cases and he sent it to me immediately at no charge- made me very happy. Now to order that Quickload holder...

Smile Re: Gnass again

Kirk, I have several of their lens bags, and I seem to remember I had to call Justin and ask about one of the orders.

He makes some stuff for firefighters as well, I think, and the web site is primitive by
    Freestyle standards, but his gear is really good.

Seems also he subcontracts the manufacture? Or is that the darkcloth guy?

This could be his busy season!

http://www.firefightinggear.net/

Comparing him with Wisner is an uncalled for insult. From previous threads/posts we know that production time is long and communication by email not very good. No use to expect a change, because people don't change. The products are great and he delivers. Your lenses will be very safe in Gnass cases, and the Readyload holder is great.

first off their products are first rate. i was just looking at my 4x5 camera case and i'll bet it out lives me...... and i'm not that old.

but ...... i've been to the house twice. i waited 4 days for my camera case. i place an online order at night and the next morning i get a call saying that if i will pick it up they we can save the shipping charges and give me a little discount. so i pick it up and they take off 5 or 10 bucks off the purchase price. great, whatever. i just liked the case. it was terrific. camera fits perfectly with my dark cloth wrapped around it.

a few weeks later i call to order a lens case and they say they have one there. so i drop by the house and they don't know what i'm talking about. but they invite me in again and after a short search sure enough there is a lens case sitting on a bookshelf in one of the back bedrooms. probably meant for someone else which would explain the long lead times............

the house is small ....probably a two bedroom... in an old part of town a couple blocks from where my great grandparents moved to from illinios in 1923. when you walk in the house you'll see about a half dozen sowing machines in various locations and piles of raw materials....cloth and padding in stacks everywhere........... doesn't look like anyone actually lives there.......i don't know.

during two visits i didn't see anyone actually working. and at no time i saw more than two people there. there was a computer on a table and it was on but to me it looked really old......

they also have some funky metal (large) sculptures in the front yard. i guess it helps
    to find the place. as opposed to their neighbors who don't have large funky metal sculptures in theire front yards.

so like i said they are kind of the free spirit types.......

but with that said and given the quality of what they produce i wouldn't hesitate to order from them.

just requires patience............

and.......its my understanding that justin gnass lives in alaska and his brother (name escapes me) is in charge of the manufacturing here in chico.

brad

ps. come to think of it humbolt county is only a few counties away.

and also ......just my experience.......

sort of like buying backpacking tents..............a two man tent only
    shelters two people if your really, really........ like each other.

if your ordering a lens case.........

the three lens case really only holds two lenses.....i took one of the dividers
    out of mine and it holds two lenses perfectly.

i suspect the four lens case only holds three.

others might have a different opinion.

brad

I've had the same frustrating experience with Mr. Gnass. I just kept sending polite nag emails every week or so. It would be much better for his reputation if he gave a realistic time estimate, like "delivery within 4-6 weeks" or similar.

Anyway, the product is very well made and well worth the annoyance getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by brad martin View Post

the three lens case really only holds two lenses.....i took one of the dividers
    out of mine and it holds two lenses perfectly.

i suspect the four lens case only holds three.

others might have a different opinion.

brad
    It's going to depend on the lenses and lens boards used, of course, but my experience has been that 4 normal (55mm-450mm) 4x5 lenses fit the 4 lens case fine. I use 110mm square (Arca) lens boards which is just about perfect for Gnass cases. They fit in my Redwing 3100 pack great, too.