Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Such thing as field camera with geared movements?

Such thing as field camera with geared movements?

I'm currently using a Super Graphic and while I generally like it for its portability, I really wish it had geared movements (which I got used to using loaned Cambo and Sinar cameras). Is there such thing as a portable field camera with geared movements? If so, what price range are they usually?

Second question, how portable is a Sinar F2? My only experience with Sinar is a one day use of a P2 and it didn't seem all that portable to me. I'm not looking to backpack with it, but I do tend to shoot portraits and lifestyle subjects mostly, so I'm looking to have it easily moved from place to place while it's attached to a tripod (Manfrotto 475B). I shoot DSLR for a lot of my commissioned work, but would like to start incorporating LF for a new look/experience/challenge (also use an RZ67 for my film work).

Re: Such thing as field camera with geared movements?

Hello,

My Wista VX has geared tilts and front rise. That is also the case with the Technikas. With those camera however, you won´t be able to focus with the rear standard, which proves a big change compared to a monorail. A lot of people will surely quote Arca Swiss as example for portable monorails, some of them with geared movements.
    The F2 is much more portable and ligther than a P2. What I do is take the camera on its rail away from the tripod and carry it like a handbag (camera in one hand, tripod in the other one). Pretty easy!

JJ

Post Re: Such thing as field camera with geared movements?

Hi Terence,

Arca Swiss F-Metric with Micrometric Orbix. It has geared movements, is very rigid and precise and becomes quite compact when both standards are closed together on to the short, foldable monorail section. It is not a "field" camera in the sense it does not close up into a box, but can be easily transported in a backpack. For short distances of a few yards/feet, it can be moved while attached to a tripod. The "field" version uses smaller front standards/lens boards to make it even more compact.

// Atul

A Sinar F1 is even lighter than a F2 and you won't miss any important feature in the field. I would'nt like moving with the Sinar attached to the tripod, but you can easily separate the rail from the clamp and walk while holding the camera by the rail.

I'd second the Arca-Swiaa F-Metric. I have an Arca-Swiss, but not that model, but two friends have the F-Metric and love its precision. Not to take away from the fine workmanship of the Sinar F1.

I believe the F in Sinar F supposedly stands for Field, so they at least Sinar thinks of it as portable.

IMHO gearing is for the tabletop boys. I bet it wouldn't take that long to get adept with a non-geared camera.

"My Wista VX has geared tilts and front rise. That is also the case with the Technikas."

Technikas don't have geared tilts, only geared front rise.

I believe the Wisner Pocket Expedition has geared front tilts and maybe some geared back movements. They sell used for about $1500 - $2000. AFAIK they aren't made new any more since Wisner seems to be out of the new camera business. But Wisner still has a web site (www.wisner.com I think) so you could go there and see exactly what geared movements the Pocket Expedition has (or maybe someone here who uses one will chime in).

I don't know of any other field camera that has more geared movements than the Pocket Expedition. While the definitions in the LF camera area are a little slippery, I wouldn't consider the various cameras others have mentioned here to be field cameras. They're monorails that are light enough to carry around without breaking your back but they're still monorails.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I use a Wisner Technical Field that has geared axis tilt in the back. As mentioned above, the Pocket Expedition has this movement in both the back and front standard. It's really not necessary, and I almost never use it. I usually use front base tilt.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Quote Originally Posted by CXC View Post
    I believe the F in Sinar F supposedly stands for Field, so they at least Sinar thinks of it as portable.

IMHO gearing is for the tabletop boys. I bet it wouldn't take that long to get adept with a non-geared camera.
    I'm currently using a non-geared camera and while I can get by, it takes me a bit longer to get where I want to go. I suppose I just prefer the geared movements.

The Toyo VX125 is a compact monorail that has geared rise and shift on both front and rear standards. Not cheap, but some users find it a nice compromise between the portability of a field camera and the full control of a monorail.