Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on purchasing enlarger for 8x10 negs

Advice on purchasing enlarger for 8x10 negs

Am shooting 8x10 and am about to start looking for an enlarger. Any recommendations?
    Thanks.

Re: Advice on purchasing enlarger for 8x10 negs

The cheap one of the litter will probably be an Elwood.I've got one. They work. Elwoods are very basic, made from wood and alloy castings, they lend themselves well to amateur repairs (which is a good thing, since much of what you'll find in the way of Elwoods have been used and used hard) Alternatives such as Durst and DeVeres offer precision and features, though at maybe 50 times the price of an elderly Elwood, and might require higher ceilings and beefed up electrical service and a slab floor as well. For simple B&W enlargements though, Elwoods are hard to beat. If you want to "kick it up a notch" without completely destroying your bank account you might find a Bessler 45 and fit an optional 8x10 head to it---however I don't know how big of a print it will let you enlarge. I think it would make for a nice sized set up and probably quite an improvement over an Elwood for those used to more modern equipment---though it would definately lack the panache of an Elwood. When my Elwood is off duty, it sports an old raincoat and a fedora. The kids call it "Uncle Elwood"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You might try some of the government agencies in your area. I bought a nice Omega 10x10 with several lenses, 3 easels, etc. for $50.00 from TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority).

Calumet still makes the Zone VI model. They do cost a bit. But you do see them on ebay from time to time at a pretty good cost.

I think the brand is almost less important than where it's located. Shipping an 8x10 enlarger any distance can be an expensive project. The Beseler 8x10 conversion that John mentioned would be a nice choice but they're very very scarce on the used market and I'm not sure Beseler still makes them new. If they are still made they cost several thousand dollars new.

Labs switching from wet to digital used to be a good source but I think that switch has been complete for several years now. Still, it wouldn't hurt to call labs in your area and see if they have one sitting around that they'd like to sell. Otherwise it's probably a matter of looking on ebay to see what's available and where it's located.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I think the brand is almost less important than where it's located. Shipping an 8x10 enlarger any distance can be an expensive project.
    Because of this be willing to travel a bit to get what you want. A year ago I bought a complete plus a half a Durst 138S on eBay located in Detroit, some four hours from here. I paid a lot but they were from an ophthalmology research center in a big hospital. Can you imagine how clean and functional they were? The 138S is a 5x7 enlarger, but the one I kept has been converted with a 12x12 Aristo cold light head.

I thought I had made a good deal until a Cleveland friend bought a Durst 138S sight unseen last month on eBay in VT for $85. I offered to go with him if we could stop and shoot along the way. He said no and went with only gas stops up and back, 13 hours one way I think he said. Yes it is a lot of work, but the 8x10 you want is not that common. The largest pro photo dealer in Cleveland, Dodds, carried one box of T Max 100 in 4x5 two years ago when I stopped going there.

Thinking of the Besler, when I was researching what I wanted I read that the 8x10 conversion was quite top heavy and a bit unstable. I have no experience and don’t want to start a war with people who like that model. I would just encourage you to do some searching here and at APUG before you make your move.

Good luck,

John Powers
    Last edited by John Powers; 8-Nov-2006 at 16:19.

My advice would be three-fold:

1. Have some BIG friends available to help you lift and move the thing.
    2. Have a BIG truck to pick the thing up and move it in.
    3. Have a BIG room to move it into!

One of the local labs here in Vancouver has a 8x10 DeVere enlarger with lenses for sale. It is HUMONGOUS and looks like it woud need a crane to move! I suspect that it would have to be completely dismantled for the move.

They're asking waaaaay too much money for it (CDN$6,000) so we'll have to see what it finally washes out at!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Where are you located?

DG

I bought my Fotar 10x10 with 2000watt dichroic head and a full compliment of lenses for les than $1000, shipped from NJ to Idaho. Keep your eyes open, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, eventually.

Jay

Why?

I moved up to 8x10 because I did NOT want to use an enlarger! There is nothing in this world can compare to an exquisite 8x10 contact print. I can understand if people use enlarger for 4x5 or MF works.

Hugo