Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about field cameras

Tell me about field cameras

All,
    Im getting to the point where my travels are taking me further, and carrying around 40lbs of Sinar is holding me back (rock climbing with it poses a challenge..). So Im thinking of getting a field camera that will easily fit into a backpack.
    Im sure there aren't any that will use the same lens board as the sinar (right ?), so that isn't much of an issue. I want 4x5 format, and something that will use regular film holders. Realistically speaking, I'll take durability over weight, and I don't think I'll need more than say, 10 degrees of swing, and 15 degrees of tilt. Rise I don't think I'd need anything more than say...20mm. 12" of bellows should suffice.
    I've been looking at the crown/speed graphics, and some of the regular field cameras. I'd prefer metal (or thoughts on the Toyo CF material ?) over wood.
    Lets put the price (on the used market) at $700 or less for the body and one lens board.

Thanks !

Re: Tell me about field cameras

A member just listed a Toyo yesterday that would be perfect. Check the FS section.

Not so fast:

http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm

HALFBREED SINAR/GLENNVIEW CAMERA

The Sinar modular system is extensive, but some of us are never satisfied. I wanted a compact and lightweight yaw free camera with self-braking movements that accepted Sinar lensboards. The Sinar Alpina or A1 came close, but wasn't quite there, so I designed and built my own. It is offered w/o back, bellows or lensboard because likely you already have those items. The camera is less than 9.5" tall by 7.5" wide. The camera is 2.5# when mounted on the 6" rail. The camera is 3# when mounted on the 18" rail. A Sinar GG back and bellows will add 1.5#. Such a lightweight camera will allow you to use a lighter weight tripod. $500.

There was also a lightweight Sinar adaptation that was made by a car photographer in South Afrcia in the 1990s and SK Grimes imported it. But he passed away and I never heard anymore about it, now the website is gone too.

But I think the concept is a great idea. Kind of like a hybrid Sinar with an old pre-F Arca rail and function carriers, combining the best of both systems.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 7-Nov-2006 at 07:48.

Steve,

Check the equipment reviews listed on the home page for a somewhat detailed overview of most of what's available. Used prices may be found on auction sites and the web. It would be very easy to throw a list of cameras at you that meet your specs, however it wouldn't be as informative. I will add that you'll find a Graphic annoying if you're accustomed to using a Sinar.

Mike.

Have a look at Karry Thalmann's review of the Toho.

The only downside is that it breaks down into two separate parts for storage. But set-up takes less than a minute. The parts are well made and sturdy.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Thanks for the info thus far Gentlemen.
    Frank - the sinar idea seems OK; but I would prefer something that boxes into itself. Ditto for the Toho.
    I want something that could live in a backpack, along with some other items that would be needed for the day.

Steve, Check out the Super Graphic. It has all the front movements that you might need, 12" of bellows, bullet proof and tough and all for well under $700. For $700 you could probably get the camera plus a couple of light lenses to boot. Check out this web site:http://www.cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm

Technika, Technika, Technika. Just pay the extra money and quit worrying about it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The standard recommendations for a field camera with the characteristics you describe and in your $700 price range are probably Tachihara ($600 new), Shen Hao (about the same), and maybe a used Wista, Zone VI, or Toyo. Since durability is a major concern you might search around for one of the metal Wistas or Toyos though they, as well as a Shen Hao, will be a little heavier than you might like. I'm not sure the metal cameras would be under $700 but I don't think they'd be far off.

FWIW my suggestion would be a Tachihara but there's so much personal preference involved with cameras that rather than urging you to buy it I'd only suggest you take a look and see what you think. There are detailed specs for the Tachiharas on the MidWest Photo Exchange web site and there's an informal review on my web site.

Questions like this always end up eliciting at least five or six different recommendations from people with their pet cameras so you'll likely have lots to choose from.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

FWIW there was a clean Linhof Technika on eBay yesterday that sold quickly at a Buy It Now of $850. Then it is a simple matter of getting a Sinar to Linhof adapter lensboard...

The slightly heavier cameras are a bit more forgiving of damage and usually have easier controls to manipulate, so don't get overly concerned about the weight... I used to through my Technika into a backpack and let it bounce around in the trunk -- pretty rugged compared to a Tachihara.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 7-Nov-2006 at 12:28.