Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera insurance

Camera insurance

OK so I have a pretty big collection of cameras, some of which are actually useful and worth something. I have this terrible fear that I'll come home oneday to a burnt down husk of an apartment. Yes I know my homeowners insurance will pay up but what about for travel? Can anyone make any recommendations for insurance?

Re: Camera insurance

My insurance is through State Farm, and I have a separate "Professional" rider that covers all of my equipment, including travel. State farm has three classes: Personal, Professional, and Commercial. I fall into the "professional" category, because I only shoot "part-time" professionally, not full time.

I would check with your insurance provider to get a quote on a separate rider for your equipment.

Smile Re: Camera insurance

Get it!
    I have and had floater insurance on my gear. Long story short. My first Wisner went over a cliff in Big Sur, Calif. The only only thing left was a battered 210 lens and the bellows. What saved my bottom was the insurance. The company dropped me after cutting the check and I did get another Wisner but I stay far away from cliffs of any size.
    I now have floater insurance on my photography collection as well.

I have a policy through NANPA's group (administered by Chubb). Ben's comments about State Farm are interesting because I'm pretty sure State Farm wanted nothing to do with me as a "pro" (meaning making income with the equipment). I have other policies with State Farm but they told me they could only cover camera equipment if I had $0 revenue generated from it. I looked at other companies "pro" policies and NANPAs group rate came out the cheapest (but not exactly cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I have a policy through NANPA's group (administered by Chubb). Ben's comments about State Farm are interesting because I'm pretty sure State Farm wanted nothing to do with me as a "pro" (meaning making income with the equipment). I have other policies with State Farm but they told me they could only cover camera equipment if I had $0 revenue generated from it. I looked at other companies "pro" policies and NANPAs group rate came out the cheapest (but not exactly cheap).
    That's odd, I was told that I had to make over a certain dollar amount to qualify in the "commercial" rating, which comes at a high cost. The "professional" policy covered me I think up to $10000 or so? I'll look at my policy documentation and update you guys if I have forgotten anything.

Ben C

My gear is covered under my homeowner's policy, whether it is at home or in the car. I double and triple checked with my carrier to make sure of it. As long as photography is not my major income source (for me, it does not really even qualify as a minor one) I am covered.

One potential risk with lumping your camera coverage with your homeowner's policy is that if you get dropped due to a camera claim, you may have trouble getting a replacement homeowner's policy in a timely manner. That, in turn, may trigger a default under the terms of your mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    One potential risk with lumping your camera coverage with your homeowner's policy is that if you get dropped due to a camera claim, you may have trouble getting a replacement homeowner's policy in a timely manner. That, in turn, may trigger a default under the terms of your mortgage.

And, I am wondering if it affects your credit rating too...

I used to have the State Farm Island Marine too, and then switched to the NANPA program as a more suitable choice for professional use. The State Farm was OK up to 50% income. Both resolved claims timely and without difficulties.

Don't assume your home owners covers camera equipment. If you're not sure, check it out. My homeowners doesn't even begin to cover my equipment, unless it's on a schedule.

I have special insurance that covers all my photographic insurance needs that I got at the recommendation of ASMP.