Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Film Holder brand? Does it matter?

Re: Film Holder brand? Does it matter?

I recommend Toyo. Very good construction and very stable.

I have not tried Lisco, Linhof or Riteway, but I have had two Fidelity holders
    which had loose dark slides and flimsy construction. They are sold now.

Remember to check the hinge tape on the holders. If it is
    loose do not buy them. If you can feel the spring through the
    hinge tape it indicates that the hinges are very loose.

After struggling for a year with a new Fuji Quickload holder (first the film would not pull out, then the holder developed light leaks I could not cure) I switched to traditional holders, Toyo in particular. I purchased them new from Freestyle at a very good price; as far as I know, Freestyle may still have them at that price.

blanco_y_negro

I have Fidelity & Toyo holders. Although the ones I have are all fine, I can tell the difference in quality between Fidelity and Toyo. The latter is better constructed and it even feels better. Toyo is generally more expensive but you might be able to find reasonably priced ones on the well-known auction site.

Tape is easily replaced. I've re-taped many holders in 4x5 and 8x10 and never had a problem. I find that they sell for a lot less if the tape is loose, since people think they can't be repaired. Simple black 'artists' tape comes in many widths and does a knock up job.

- Randy

Another vote for Toyo, better build quality and seem to hold the film flatter. However, I have bought all my holders used and have found that the Toyo dark slides are easier to crack, chip or break than the flimsier and more flexible ones from the current Fidelities.

Tony: The Toyo ones are really well made. I have a few of those and all other things being equal, I certainly prefer them.

The Lisco's and Fidelity's are fine too. The black paint on one side of the slides with the metal pulls seems to readily flake off on these.

The graflex/riteway ones are very nice, they usually need a cleaning since the slides stick, but a little scrubbing with simple green and a light coat of pledge will fix that. They seem to be quite reasonably priced used and I've never had one that wasn't perfectly usable once cleaned up. Blow out the dust traps on the old ones.

In 4X5 I find myself using grafmatics more often these days.

I have used many wooden 8X10 holders and if I take the time to redo the hinge tape when necessary and clean out the light trap I've had no problems with them. I prefer the ones with the screws that allow me to take the light trap apart. The older dark slides can have cracks that are hard to spot, so check carefully.

If you ever run across any old Alkon film holders in decent shape, grab 'em. All aluminum and no hinge tapes to go bad. Almost indestructable, but not often seen. I just bagged 7 - 5X7s in really bad shape for ten bucks. If I can salvage a couple, it will be a bargain. Refurbished one today.

Question film holder for a B&J camera

Hello!

I have a 4*5 B&J camera! And I am missing the original film holder. Does anybody know if a regular Fidelity 4*5 holder will do the trick? It's not a press one and it's not a monorail one. It's a flat view one.

thanks to all the LF colleagues!

Cesar Juarez-Vargas
    Studio Six Photography

Re: film holder for a B&J camera

As far as I'm aware, all the B&J cameras had standard spring backs and will work as designed with any brand of ANSI type 4x5 or 9x12 cm film holder.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I know that you're in the States but if you do find any by the British firm M.P.P or Micro Precision Products I understand that they vary in registration from the norm. They all seem to be made from wood, some have an insert that was used to convert them from plate holders to sheet film holders. I would avoid them.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.