Thread: Pinholes in bellows etc.

Pinholes in bellows etc.

My rubberised darkroom blackout blinds developed a few pinholes a while ago and turned my darkroom into a multi-faceted camera obscura. I stumbled on a "formula " for re-rubberising them using a mixture of latex based glue (Copydex) and indi an ink; about a 50/50 mix, but the ink needs to be added slowly to the Copydex w hile stirring, otherwise the mixture curdles.

This worked a treat on the blinds, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It mig ht even work for shutter blinds. But now my 5x4 has developed a couple of pinhol es in the bellows, and I was going to try the above treatment on the inside of t he bellows. Before I go ahead, does anyone have a tried and tested recipe or rem edy for repairing camera bellows?

Pinholes in bellows etc.

I patched a few holes in my bellows and also a hole in the lens board with black silicone. Works very good.

Pinholes in bellows etc.

The "Liquid Neoprene" sold in diving shops for repairing wetsuits is good stuff. Some of the black silicone I've used would work on a bellows, most would be too stiff or wouldn't adhere to the inside flocking. If you go that way I'd recommend testing on an unimportant pseudo-bellows first.

Copydex has a very high sulpher content. It does spectacular damage to paper after a year or so of contact, so I wouldn't want it near cardboard stiffeners or leather.

Pinholes in bellows etc.

As far as I know if you use book binders glue or some thing like that around the hole, then secure a piece of light tight material, such as a pice dnated from a camera whose bellows need replacing or even changing bag material that should work. Or you could always fork out #45 or so for a new bellows from Camera Bellows.