Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 160PortraVC vs. 400PortraNC

Smile 160PortraVC vs. 400PortraNC

I just ran a test that gave what I think are interesting results. I was looking for the graininess and sharpness differences between 5x4 160PortraVC and 5x4 400PortraNC. I'm interested in the 400 speed film for when I need that extra stop of speed in windy conditions.

What I did was to expose a sheet of each to a scene that has lots of detail (leafless trees in the distance). I then printed a small section out of each negative that calculates out to about a 10.25x enlargement (that is, about a 30 x 23 cm (12 x 9 inch) chunk out of what would have been a print of about 130 x 104 cm (51 x 41 inches).

What I'm seeing is most notable for what's missing. And what's missing is any real difference between the two. Graininess is almost exactly the same (almost invisible -- I guess I should have gone for more enlargement, eh?). Tonality is nice and smooth from both films in the blue sky areas and clouds. And detail is about the same with the bare limbs of the distant trees. I would give just the slightest edge to the slower film, but mostly because I know it *should* be better.

Based on what I'm seeing, I could easily justify making 400Portra my only color film. Except for the $0.75 USD per sheet premium Kodak charges for 400Portra .

Still, the performance of the faster film is unexpectedly good. Am I just seeing things, or is this film really this good?

Bruce Watson

Re: 160PortraVC vs. 400PortraNC

I'd be interested in a comparison of 160NC and 400NC. I've only used 160NC in medium format, and haven't shot any color neg film in 4x5 yet.

And, remember, Kodak has just reformulated Portra, so it will be interesting to see results from the new emulsion.

I haven't yet tried a 400 neg film, but after reading your post Bruce I will.

I recently shot 160 color neg for the first time in many years and was blown away by the improvements over what I had seen in the past.

400 Portra NC in 8x10 is awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I'd be interested in a comparison of 160NC and 400NC. I've only used 160NC in medium format, and haven't shot any color neg film in 4x5 yet.

And, remember, Kodak has just reformulated Portra, so it will be interesting to see results from the new emulsion.
    I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here - VC vs. UC. But I've been using the 160PortraVC in Readyloads in the field and that's what I had on hand. I had also bought a box of the 400PortraUC "just in case" and decided I ought to at least find out what it can do.

A controlled test would be more interesting, and one that compared UC to UC would be and even more informative. I'll probably get around to that eventually, but probably after the new emulsions make it out to retail. Could be a while. Maybe someone will beat me to it and save me the trouble...

Bruce Watson

Porta 400NC is Kodak's crowning glory. The engineer who designed it lives around the corner, he said it was the best, highest tech film ever made.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Porta 400NC is Kodak's crowning glory. The engineer who designed it lives around the corner, he said it was the best, highest tech film ever made.

I agree.
    Tell your guy that someone at least has noticed his hard work and is appreciative!

Bruce Watson

What EI yous guys usin' with the 400NC?

these two films are my staple, you do see difference in in 35mm and 120, but as bruce says in 4x5 i think it is hard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I agree -- I used to shoot 160NC because I felt the lower grain would translate into more sharpness. However my own tests mirror yours -- Not much of a difference at all when printed. 400NC is just one great film. It is now my standard.