Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Camera suppliers

Re: UK Camera suppliers

The above link is bad, but if you just go to www.linhofstudio.com it works fine from here
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    The above link is bad, but if you just go to www.linhofstudio.com it works fine from here

Ah, great! I'd better change my bookmark. Thanks.

Richard

Sorry about the bad link - it worked when I posted it whilst the more general link didn't! I just wish I understood these things better. I'd still very much recommend a chat with Paula - I've not met anyone else selling LF equipment in the UK with her breadth of knowledge.

David Whistance

PS. I should probably state at this point that I have no connection with Linhof & Studio save being a satisfied customer!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    Try www.foto-arte.co.uk Only viewed their site, can't say I've used them.
    I have, and thats the last time! AFAIAC, they don't exist.

Steve

HI Richard, thanks for your post should be very helpful!
    The link is dead!...when you get the blank page go to the url and remove "/Home/home.html)" this is the part of the address that is invalid!

leaving the "http://www.linhofstudio.com"...

this is the valid address!

Thanks for your help!

favour returned!

Rgds

Barry

Ooops!...replied beofore reading the rest of the replies!

Thank you to everyone for thier posts!

You have all been extremely helpful!

Rgds

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kefford View Post
    I have, and thats the last time! AFAIAC, they don't exist.

Steve
    Steve,

are you prepared to say what the problem was? I've used them three times now. They are slow, but I have had some good deals.
    Last edited by Mark Pope; 1-Nov-2006 at 11:36. Reason: correct typo.

I'm gonna get slagged off for this BUT some Gandolfies are constructed from M.D.F.(some, not all). If I wanted a cardboard camera I would make a pinhole from a shoebox. I saw and handled a Shen Hao at the Focus exhibition and I was impressed but the standard of the workmanship. Ebonies are beautiful though I've never used one. My 4 x 5 is a Wista DS and I like it. One advantage is that I can just about use my 65mm Super Angulon without a recessed lens board, I understand that this is not possible with many 4 x 5 field cameras. If you intend to buy second hand check comperable prices very carefully, especially if your buying from dealers in the Croydon area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pope View Post
    Steve,

are you prepared to say what the problem was? I've used them three times now. They are slow, but I have had some good deals.
    Slow. Lying. Promising stuff had been sent when it had not. Saying he had stuff in stock when he had not. Sending wrong stuff. etc., etc.

I ordered some stuff from him, which he "had in stock", which I required for a project. I had plenty of time when I ordered it, but it was months and many, many phone calls before I got the stuff. Although he might have been slightly cheaper, that price difference must have vanished with the cost of all the phone calls.

I don't expect flawless service from retailers, but I do judge them on how they respond when a problem occurs. On this basis, I can't recall a worse retail experience I have had. This guy should be locked up. He is a disgrace.

In short, an untrustworthy, unreliable, lying *****, and that is being polite.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kefford; 7-Nov-2006 at 09:05.

Fair enough. I agree he's slow. I also noticed that the money came out of my account on the day of my last transaction even though it took over a week for the lens to arrive.
    I had to chase for paperwork, which he emailed. Come to think of it I still don't have paperwork for something else that I bought of him a couple of months back. Time for another email.
    I've decided to stop using him now. Not a difficult decision really, as barring a 300mm, my outfit's complete.