Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Beginner camera

Re: 4x5 Beginner camera

I had yet another thought...

Since you are looking at studio only and like to work at closer range, then you might want to consider an 8x10 camera with a 4x5 reducing back... And I'm sure the Deacons of the forum will flame me for even suggesting a beginner consider this, but...

1) With an 8x10 you can get a 4x5 reducing back and use it just like any 4x5 studio camera;

2) 8x10 cameras in standard trim come with significantly longer bellows than a comparable 4x5, which makes it easy to use longer lenses at high reproduction ratios;

2A) Yet almost all of them will easily collapse to where you can still focus a 150 or 120 at infinity and a few to where you can focus a 90 at infinity;

3) As you get into LF you quickly learn the advantages inherent with larger negatives and most will agree you can see differences between 4x5 and 8x10 even in 16x20 prints.

BUT!!! There are some negatives aside from size weight:

1) 8x10 cameras are going to cost say 50% more used than a comparable 4x5;

2) Most 210 lenses for 4x5 will cover 8x10 at the closer focusing ranges you are talking about, but wont be ideal. So a 300 would be abetter choice. The minor good news here is there are some relatively inexpensive (sub $500 range used) yet excellent lenses in 12" (300mm) lenses that cover 8x10 with room to spare, like a Kodak Ektar, convertable Symmar or even possibly an older Fujinon 300 C.

3) 8x10 film and processiong is more expensive than 4x5 -- but only about 2x the cost for 4x the film area.

Only offered FWIW,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 25-Oct-2006 at 09:28.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Jack - I got hutzba...but not That much hutzba! Besides, there's no 8x10 quickload sheets!

Ken -- If I was starting out in LF for the subject you mention, I'd appreciate a press camera with a focal plane shutter and an enlarging lens of 135 to 180mm. It certainly doesn't have to be a Rodenstock lens; others do as well. One can even get by without a shutter by using open flash or other techniques. If you only shoot with the film and subject planes parallel, you don't even have to worry about tilts. I sometimes use a press camera in preference to my flatbed and monorail view cameras for convenience. Even an Anniversary or older model of Speed Graphic would suffice. A patient and wise ebay shopper could set up such a system for under $200 USD, maybe under $100. You won't have to sacrifice quality when shooting leaves, either. Adapting older equipment to modern tasks does sometimes require a little ingenuity. Eventually you will encounter subjects where a more versatile camera than a press camera is needed. By then you should have the experience to make a wiser choice than now.

That's sounds interesting, Jim. There's a lot on Ebay right now. Thanks!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Through a little bit of luck, some patience, and several surpricing coincidences, I've managed to get a fully working pre-anniversary Speed graphic with fully working shutter, light tight bellows, several lens boards and a few lenses for less than $100.

It started with the lens boards - I was after a cable release and some spare parts for my Linhof Color, and bought a box of "assorted photography stuff" on ebay for $25. I saw there were at least eight good cable releases in it, so I decided anything else was a bonus. Among the stuff was also a new Linhof ground glass and 14 Speed Graphic lens boards - 8 old type, 5 newer, and one "baby Graphic". In another of these boxes there was a tiny little iris lens mount, only about 10cm across with a max lens diameter of 6cm.

In the meanwhile I've been accumulating old lenses - Rapid Rectilinears, Aplanats, old Anastigmats, Petzvals and whatever. Most of them without shutters, though. One very fine one is a Busch Aplanat No.3 with corroded barrel but perfect optics. It cost me $10...

So I started looking round for an old Speed Graphic to play with. In the end I put in a low bid on a very old one, state unknown, no lens, scuffed body. I got it for $56. It turned out to have a brand new synthetic bellows and a working (and even accurate) focal plane shutter! As well as a (working) Kalart rangefinder and focuspot...

So a Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic for $56, say $25 for the lens boards and the iris, and $10 for the lens - that's $89 in total. I've spent the remaining $11 on another lens - a Perken Son & Rayment WA Portable Symmetrical "Optimus" 5x4" - 82mm focal length, f:16, and covers 4x5" with movements to spare.

These old lenses may not be as sharp as modern lenses over the whole field, but the central sharpness is as least as good as most modern lenses. With only 4 elements in 2 groups they don't need coating to be good and contrasty, either!

Thanks, Ole!

I just called my local dealer. He said he has a Pre-Anniversary 4x5 Speed Graphic and 150mm Ectar? lens that he will show me how to use next week! I can't wait!

Re: Thanks, Ole!

If the focal plane shutter works and the bellows are good, that's a heck of a good first 4x5, Ken. I have an Anniversary Speed; I usually carry it with a 13.5 cm f/4.5 Skopar a few years older than the camera.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Thanks, Donald!

I'm so glad to hear that. I should have figured (My local dealer finds great stuff all the time - like the best camera/lens combo I've ever tried - DS M3 50 2).

Thank you!

Sorry - I forgot to ask - He's asking $329 - Is that a fair price in Excellent condition with clean glass? Thanks.
    Ken

Yeah but get him to toss in some holders and film. Or at least a cheap plastic loupe.

Got a place to load film? Processing?
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 29-Oct-2006 at 05:55.