Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much total solution for five sheets of 8x10?

How much total solution for five sheets of 8x10?

Having barely made it through math in high school, I offer up the following question.
    How much HC110 (diluted from stock at 1:15) should I use to develop five sheets of 8x10 film in an 11x14 tray?
    I've been developing them one at a time in an 8x10 tray, with 32-ounces total volume of solution (30 ounces of tap water, 2 ounces of HC110 from stock).
    I checked Kodak's Web site, but my eyes glazed over, and I gave up.
    I offer my thanks in advance for any adult supervision you could provide.

Re: How much total solution for five sheets of 8x10?

Are you talking about five sheets at a time? With that dilution of HC-110, I believe that whatever total amount of solution you'd need to achieve the depth you need in the tray would be plenty of developer to avoid exhaustion. In other words, if 32 ounces gives you enough developer in the tray to shuffle the sheets, it would not exhaust. But I doubt that 32 ounces is enough for an 11x14 tray - probably a liter or more. If you have some old negatives, try shuffling some in a tray of water and see how much total liquid you think you need.
    juan

Juan -- yes, I'll be doing them all at the same time. I had thought that as long as I had enough solution for adequate depth in the tray that I would have, at my dilution, enough developer strength to do five sheets at a time -- wasn't sure, though.

Ben...

Please clarify for me...you're making a working solution from stock, right?

You're making the stock from 1 part concentrate to 3 parts water, right?

You are then mixing 1 part stock with 15 parts water, resulting in your final working solution?

Just remember that 3ml of HC110 syrup/concentrate has a development capacity of 80 sq inches of film or 1 8x10 sheet.

And another note...it is so much easier to use HC110 direct from concentrate as a one shot than to mix stock solutions and worry about its shelf life.
    Last edited by PViapiano; 23-Oct-2006 at 12:20. Reason: additional info

Yes, I use HC110 from the stock solution, not the concentrate. I've never tried it from the concentrate -- I always thought it would be too hard to measure accurately. The Kodak site, if I read it correctly, recommends using it from stock (no doubt because it will expire faster, requiring additional purchases of their product).
    I've been using it from stock for so long, it would be hard for me to change horses mid-stream, so to speak.
    It makes sense, though, to mix from the syrup, to avoid having the stock solution go bad after three months, or so.

Hi Ben...

I use a small medicinal syringe/eyedropper for measuring the concentrate, found at any drug store. It's pretty quick and easy, but I know what you mean about changing horses. At least I hope the capacity info was useful...

Cheers...

When I answered, I was thinking of mixing directly from concentrate, so you may need to think about exhaustion. I used HC-110b when I used it - which is one ounce of concentrate to 31 ounces of water. I measured the one ounce with a small graduate - no problem. One ounce is essentially the same as 30ml, so under PViapiano's formula, that would be enough for 10 sheets of 8x10 - more than enough capacity for five sheets.
    juan

Gentlemen -- bear with me. So, if I'm using HC110 from the stock (not concentrate), then 1 ounce of stock solution per 8x10 sheet should be Ok? In other words, if I pour 75 ounces of water into an 11x14 tray and then pour in 5 ounces of HC110 stock solution for 1:15 ratio, that should be enough for five sheets?
    Or, if I got brave and decided to do it from concentrate, what would be a comparable mixture (using syrup) to my tried and true 1:15 from stock?
    Thanks for spoon feeding this to me.

hi ben,
    i too have difficulty with all this math. check out this link. http://mysite.verizon.net/fowler/photo/hc110.htm
    it is helpful. accordingto the site, you should be able to mix dilution A from concentrate to make your 1:15 solution.
    you need atleast 3ml per 8x10 sheet. at dilution A,B,C,D you should have no problems with the min.

so, if you are using 75 oz of fluid (2218ml) you would need 4.6 oz (136.4ml) of concentrate. (i use google to convert from oz to ml. i type in "75oz in ml" and get 2218. it makes converting real easy) this will give you the 1:15 you are looking for. i hope this helps you.

you may consider using different dilutions. i use 1:119 with my 4x5 and i love it. i use it mainly for my pinole images cause i gain a bit of speed this way. i use dil. H (1:63) to do 8x10 in a tray so i do not have to stand in the dark for so long. another reason i use higher dilutions is that it makes the hc110 last way longer. i would guesss that dil. B would be about 2 times longer than dil. A and dil. H is about 4 times longer than dil. A. i hope this helps out. good luck and keep us posted.

eddie
    ps. 5 sheets at a time make scratches a bit more likely. what i do is use two 8x10 trays and then i shuffle 2 sheets per tray. it makes it real easy. (2 sheets in one tray and 3 in the other will be fine too.)
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    if I pour 75 ounces of water into an 11x14 tray and then pour in 5 ounces of HC110 stock solution for 1:15 ratio, that should be enough for five sheets?
    if you have 75 oz of water and add 5 oz of stock you will not have 1:15. right now i can not figure what dilution you have.....brain cramp. i think you are working with 1:45 doing what you just said. that is dil. E to get that dil. from concentrate you would need 1.5oz (44ml) of concentrate per 75 oz (2218ml) of water

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Or, if I got brave and decided to do it from concentrate, what would be a comparable mixture (using syrup) to my tried and true 1:15 from stock?
    Thanks for spoon feeding this to me.
    ben,
    use dil. E. that will give you your tried and true. keep us posted.

eddie

eddie
    Last edited by eddie; 23-Oct-2006 at 20:48.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery