Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head Question

SF Bay Area 94303

Re: Tripod Head Question

If weight is not an issue (never is right?) A Manfrotto 3047 3 way or the old Majestic Geared head are built like bulldozers and are about as heavy, but very stable. I hate ball heads but then I have never had one of those $400 ones either. The 3047 cost me $30.
    If wieght is an issue a slightly less beefy Bogen 3029 3 way might do the trick. That one I think can be had for also about $30 if you keep looking. The Manfrotto 055MF4 legs are really nice, but you will have buy those new. Those will cost a bit more.

Greg,

I’ve had a Technikardan 45, the predecessor of your 45S, for three or more years. My longest lens is a 450mm Nikor M F9 which takes all the bellows. If you want to use that long a lens or go Macro (I like the 180mm Rodenstock) and need all the bellows, I suggest finding the Tele/Macro Bracket part # 002741 which takes the three telescoping base brackets and locks them into a solid piece. B&H wants $346.50 for this little Linhof gem. I found one on eBay for $80. That gives you an 18.25 inch solid platform. I think on a ball head it would be like a pin wheel, don’t know, haven’t been there.

The low Gitzo magnesium pan tilt head with the long platform (about 5.5 inches) is my preference. I bought a 1370M (I think that was the #) in one of Frank’s “I have circled back to good old Gitzo 3-way pan heads “ first circling moments about three years ago. I think Frank drove covered wagons in his earlier life. The current version would be Gitzo 2270M long platform head.

The older three series Gitzo aluminum Studex makes a nice solid base for this at about three pounds heavier than the G1325 carbon fiber. These are $100-125 on eBay. You don’t have 26 lbs capacity, but that is twice the weight of your total package. I would encourage you to go second hand on all these pieces. This is hardware, not electronics or mechanical shutters. Compare that to the above poster’s better part of a $1,000. The only caution is to buy the tripod with a trial return provision. Some abused Gitzo tripods can lose their ability to lock the base for the head.

Enjoy, it is a wonderful set up. Don’t learn to like the larger negative too much. I have tumbled down the slippery slope from there to 8x10 and 7x17. The Linhof seems really light now.

John

Like many others, I liked a ball head for smaller formats (in fact I just bought a Really Right Stuff BH40 Pro II for my digital camera to replace the Arca Swiss B1 that I found too heavy) but haven't liked them for LF. The problem for me is that with the 6 lb weight of my LF camera plus lens and film holder it's difficult to make very small adjustments. The weight of the camera and other stuff seems to exert too much pull and even if you can make a small change in one direction the weight tends to create an unwanted change in another direction. That's especially a problem with architecture, where I'm often trying to line up vertical and parallel lines (e.g. a door or window) absolutely perfectly.

I've used several different heads (Bogen 3047 and 3039 pan/tilt heads come to mind, also a Gitzo head they called a ball head but which really wasn't and that I absolutely hated). I finally settled on the Bogen 410 geared head, mainly because of architectural work. If I only did landscapes I think any pan/tilt head would be o.k. but for architecture the geared head allows finer adjustments than I could make with a pan/tilt head.

I've used quite a few different tripods. I settled on the Gitzo 1325. It seems to be a nice combination of relatively light weight but plenty sturdy. I prefer the Bogen system of opening and closing leg sections but I've been willing to accept the Gitzo collars, especially on the 1325 where they're larger and easier to use than on the Gitzo aluminum tripod I also have but don't use.

I'd suggest avoiding a tripod with a center column for LF. The center column adds weight and cost but it's difficult if not impossible to raise the camera any distance above eye level and still be able to compose and focus. I'd also ignore the old adage that the heavier the camera the heavier the tripod must be. I never did believe in that one but new materials such as carbon fiber have surely made it obsolete. I also don't like wood tripods. I thought the ones I've seen (Zone VI and Ries) were unnecessarily heavy. The worst tripod you can buy is the one that stays in the closet because you hate carrying it around.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Hello,

I got a gitzo G1570M. This head is really good. Its ist more than a standard 3-wayhead. Its a head with a great big plate where u can set up your camera safely without skidding around. The friction of all 3 knobs is so soft and hard gripping that small adjustements of cameras with long lenses or view cameras is really joyful task.
    It has a height of only 10,5cm, has a load capacity of 10 kilos and weights 1,3 kilo.

wfg Stewy

I currently use a Manfrotto/Bogen 029 3 way head on a Gitzo 228 Reporter tripod. A good combination that's very stable but heavy. I'm getting a 405 geared head for Christmas (how's that for forward planning :-) ) and I'm going to get the Magfiber CF tripod to match - the Manfrotto model number is 190 MF3. It seems to be a well made tripod and it's quite a bit cheaper than the Gitzo equivalent.

Hello,

I'm another Manfrotto 410 user on either a Gitzo 1327 (with shortened centre column) or a Gitzo 1548. However I do like using the Arca Swiss quick releases so I have purchased a Kirk adapter plate that fits straight onto the 410 instead of the quick release plate and the Really Right Stuff TK45 plate. I'm very happy with the new combination, plus it allows a little adjustment of the mounting point so that the camera is better balanced with long lenses.

Good luck with the TK45s, I'm very happy with mine.

David Whistance

Another vote for the Arca-Swiss B2

Also a fan of the Manfrotto 410 geared head as well - with my son now

Grego

Thumbs up Re: Tripod Head Question

Thanks all. This is really a great source of information.

I have been reinventing my field camera kit preparing for another book project on the wilds of the SW. I recently bought and heavily tested in the field the Bogen 055MF3 carbon tripod with a 329RC4 COMPACT PRO 3D HEAD based on some recommendations here and my experience with them at the VC conference. The combo has worked extremely well as a lightweight field tripod for a 4x5 field camera at a very competitive price.

On the Chaco trip however, Eric Biggerstaff introduced me to the 410 geared head, which I think is a better head if you are only using view cameras.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Eric Biggerstaff

Like Kirk mentions, I have a Gitzo 1325 with the Bogen / Manfrotto 410 geared head. I really like the set up. I checked out Kirks Bogen 055MF3 at Chaco recently and really liked it, it too would be a great combo with the 410 head.

Good luck.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com