Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yosemite valley in the winter time.

yosemite valley in the winter time.

I'm planning on dedicating a couple days early january to shoot some landscapes in Yosemite, Mono Lake area and the surrounding areas. The point of my whole trip is to go when the snow season is in full effect, not alot of people around. How is getting around the park when the roads are closed? I have yet to goto a National Park when it was "closed". When I went to Whitney last winter, we just drove right pass the sign..thats what the ranger even told us haha.

Re: yosemite valley in the winter time.

The last I remember is that the road across Tuolomme pass is closed in the winter. This is the road you would use to get to Yosimite valley from Mono lake. But just south of Mono lake is the Ancient Bristle Cone National Forest which is open in winter and has some amazing old gnarlly tree shots.

Enjoy,
    Alan

Yeah, the 120 is closed usually beginning of Novemeber till who knows when. Is there any way getting to Yosemite high country when these roads are closed?

Quote Originally Posted by dietcookie View Post
    Yeah, the 120 is closed usually beginning of Novemeber till who knows when. Is there any way getting to Yosemite high country when these roads are closed?
    You can hike,ski or snowshoes, the high country isn't closed, just the roads and a few of the trails, but you had better really know what you are doing before you head to the high country in the winter, even for a day hike.

Unless you are good at cross-country skiing, use snowshoes. With the right type and a little practice you almost forget you are wearing them, until you pass someone who is not and is up to their armpits in a drift.

Be well prepared with survival gear in case you get caught in a storm and snowed in for a few days.

Dave Karp

The valley can be great, just beautiful in winter. Getting there from Mono Lake will be problem. As the others have said, the road is most likely going to be closed.

I'll probably forget about Yosemite High Country. I have crampons, ice axes, etc etc all the stuff for winter but I wanted to pretty much make it easy on myself and shoot from the car, or real short distances from the car. I really want to make it to the valley and mono lake area. I just gotta figure out how to get from the valley to the otherside!

Smile Re: yosemite valley in the winter time.

Once the snow closes Tioga Pass, as well as Monitor Pass and Sonora Pass, you will have a loooong trip from Mono Lake to Yosemite.

Your best bet is to go north on 395 from Mono Lake to Reno; head west from there, then south on 99 or I-5 to get to the cut-off to Yosemite. This is probably a 2 day trip, especially in the winter.It is still shorter than going south on 395 through Mojave to Bakersfield and back north to Yosemite.
    Good Luck!

Jim

I'll probably catch hell for this but here goes: The 'High Country' in the Sierra Nevadas is going to look pretty much the same inside Yosemite as it does outside, as long as you're at the same elevations. Since you'll be driving one of the open passes to get from Yosemite Valley to Mono Lake anyway, I'd suggest 88 from Jackson or 50 and spend some time exploring Tahoe, June Lake and Mammoth. Squaw Valley, Heavanly and Mammoth have gondolas tthat will take you 'up top. ' If you can ski witith a pack you'll be able to get away from the crowds for more options. Alternatively is you x-c there are one and two night tours to Glacier Point from Badger Pass in Yosemite. Its pricey, but from what I understand not something to be missed.

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Yosemite valley in winter is great. Very peaceful, relatively speaking (compared to summer crowds) and is quite beautiful. It is quite easy to spend a couple days wandering around the valley. Endless shooting opportunities with vistas and detail work.