Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Savers in the Field

Re: Time Savers in the Field

Bruce, Actually I meter much like what Slade said (thanks for reminding me):

2) If in a huge hurry, do a quick meter of the shadows and then shoot--reload and shoot again. Then decide if there is time to really study the scene and what to do with the highlights.
    Meaning I grab a couple of well exposed negatives (exposed for the shadows) and then decide how I need to develop them when I get a breather. I feel using the other method (highlight placement first) gives you fewer options.

The other thing I do with lenscaps.......all my lenscaps have a piece of industrial stength, hook side, velcro on the outside of them. In various places on my camera case, camera, and tripod I have adhered or sewn a loop piece of velcro. Depending on the camera I am using. I always slap the lenscap consistently on one of the receiving locations.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 16-Oct-2006 at 21:35. Reason: bad aim with my typing finger
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Some really great tips here.

Someone mentioned using reading glass to focus with. I had a pair of +4 power reading glasses made specifically for this. I keep them in my pocket case all the time when I am in the field ready to use at an instant. This pretty much eliminates the need for a ground glass magnifier though as Kirk mentioned I keep mine tethered to the back of the camera.

Don Bryant

I can't think of anything to add to the growing list of excellent advise, but I sure would like to hear how you juggle your GND filters. I shoot with a selection of four and usually choose the best one for a given shot on the first go, but going from pack to (Cokin) holder often takes an eternity. I carry mine as shipped by Singh Ray, in the leatherette cases and between the sheets of paper.

I can imagine someone inventing a "variable" GND filter - a high-tech, screw-in device that changes color correction, hardness of gradient transition, horizon placement, and degree of density with electronic input from a handheld remote device - but until it hits the market I'll settle for getting the dang thing out of the pack and on the lens faster. Any time-saving solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    I can't think of anything to add to the growing list of excellent advise, but I sure would like to hear how you juggle your GND filters. I shoot with a selection of four and usually choose the best one for a given shot on the first go, but going from pack to (Cokin) holder often takes an eternity. I carry mine as shipped by Singh Ray, in the leatherette cases and between the sheets of paper.

I can imagine someone inventing a "variable" GND filter - a high-tech, screw-in device that changes color correction, hardness of gradient transition, horizon placement, and degree of density with electronic input from a handheld remote device - but until it hits the market I'll settle for getting the dang thing out of the pack and on the lens faster. Any time-saving solutions?
    Arri had a demo of something like you described at one of the showbiz expo's a few years back. Info from a laptop was fed into it and it made virtual filters any way you wanted. I've never heard of it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    The other thing I do with lenscaps.......all my lenscaps have a piece of industrial stength, hook side, velcro on the outside of them. In various places on my camera case, camera, and tripod I have adhered or sewn a loop piece of velcro. Depending on the camera I am using. I always slap the lenscap consistently on one of the receiving locations.
    That's a really great idea. I'm going to have to steal this tip along with the many others I've found so very helpful. Thanks!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z. View Post
    On that note I keep a small notebook in the camera case. I often write down my perceptions of a place in general, and record specific notes about a specific exposure or set of exposures.

I think I've found the most useful thing I write down is how I metered (ie spot meter off of what) and interpreted to come up with my exposure, but the specific settings are unimportant.

The problem I've often encountered is not having the time to do so right when I take the exposure, and later I of course doubt if I remember everything. Has anyone tried using a custom form booklet that can speed this up, and make it more viable to do right when you make the exposure?
    Better than a notebook is those sticky notes. I put one on each darkslide after the exposure, often filled out during long exposures. I note the subject, lens used, f/stop (important with soft-focus lenses), shutter speed (for the hell of it), and most importantly, how long it is to be developed. It's really nice to have that info on each darkslide when you go to develop the film. Most of the info is later transcribed to the negative sleeve.

So many great ideas! I can't wait to utilize a few.

Anyway, one thing that I do is color code my film holders for each specific film type. I purchase different colored rolls of gaffers tape and cut out small strips for each side of the holder. Then I write the film type and holder number on each side. For example, I use purple tape for Provia and Green for Velvia and so on. This also helps at the lab, because it clearly indicates to them what film type it is.

Now what's nice about the gaffers tape is that if you want to use the film holder for a different type of film, the tape is easily removed and doesn't leave a sticky residue.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Hmm,

For exposure notes i sort my cassettes at home by number and write all notes on small prenumbered blocked papersheets. I think the best preparation can be done at home and at small pauses.
    My lenses are sorted by their focal length in wraps like described some posts before.

The idea with using one cable release on each lense is good.

But wearing the spotmeter around your neck with a cord? I dont like it!
    What in addition do you want to wear around your neck? Loupe? Light meter? Handy? Keys?
    I prefer to wear these implements in small padded pouches on the belt closed with a hook and loop fastener.

wfg Stewy
    Last edited by Stewy; 18-Oct-2006 at 04:02.

Drilling and drilling and drilling!
    If you drilled it as many as I had with my gun in the swiss army and then start to drill it in the dark!
    And yes always put everything exatly at the same position back as already stated!
    If you do it right without to think, then you got it!
    Exercise it till you dream it in your sleep!
    You can watch TV and setup the camera in no time, so you get it really!

Talking Re: Time Savers in the Field

I also use reading glasses for focusing, but in addition I have a pair of clipon 3x magnifiers that flip down which allows me to get 3-4 inches from the GC for fine focusing.

I also use a Dorme XL camera vest. Every thing I use has a special pocket. Light meter front right. Unexposed holders inside right pouch. Exposed holders go in the left inside pouch. I only use two lens so which ever one is not in use goes in the front left pocket. Filters top right pocket. Glasses and lens pen inside left breast pocket. A place for everything and everything in it's place.