Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berlabach & Horseman LX, trust issues..

Berlabach & Horseman LX, trust issues..

I recently purchased a Horseman LX (15lbs+++), and I am doing some research on a suitable tripod. I have looked at most of the specs on the tripods within my price range and I have narrowed down the list to about 3 contenders. My price range is between $150 and $300 for a complete tripod and head setup. I realize that there are a lot of possibilities for using surveyor's tripods and other non-traditional tripods but I would like to stay with something fairly modern and specifically designed for photography. I will be using the tripod for about 95% Architectural subjects and 5% landscapes. I hope to buy a field camera in the future so I would like to have something that can handle itself in the field and also be nimble in a tight interior, but this is not a priority. The real priorities I think are 1. stability 2. utility and 3. mobility. I am looking at new and used tripods and I having no problem buying on *bay to get within my price range.

My short list:

1. Berlebach 2042 ($229 new)..... Wood tripod with lots of great feedback from this site and appears to be up to the task in every way. The only thing missing is a geared center column. Probably not the best tripod for shooting with my DSLR.

2. Davis & Sanford CC Compact C Tripod Legs ($129 new)..... Supports 30lbs, price is right, very light at 5 lbs. Also does not have geared rise. Not well suited for the field but can multi task with a DSLR..

3. Giottos MT-9170 ($144 new)..... Good all around tripod, claims to be able to support 25lbs.. I like this pod, it has everything I want except no geared rise. Looks like it would be great in the field, in a tight condo, or with my DSLR mounted to it. Also has a base that allows for direct mounting with panning and tilting abilility. Which I could use while I work on a tripod head. My major concern is: is it really up to the task of a 25lb camera?

I am leaning toward the Berlebach just because of reviews it has gotten on this site. Most people seem to think it will support much more then its rated 26.5lbs. But I am having a hard time getting past the functionality of the Giottos and the weight and support of the Davis and Sanford.

Am I missing anything? Thoughts. Advice.

Thanks,

Tony Flora

Re: Berlabach & Horseman LX, trust issues..

All Giottos MT series tripods are rated to support 33 pounds not 25.

Bob,
    Thanks for the reply. From my reading here I believe you handle marketing for Giottos in U.S.. Is that correct? If it is I guess you would know, but according to www.giottos.com the max capacity is rated at 12Kg which converts to 26.455 lbs. Also, both B&H and Adorama have it rated at 26.5 Lbs.

-Tony

I can't help you with these three tripods, I've never used any of them. But I'd suggest you ignore the availabilty of a geared center column as a factor in your decision for a couple reasons. First, using a center column converts a tripod into a monopod, which isn't such a good idea. Second, it's difficult to use them with a LF camera because you presumably already have the camera at about eye level and if you raise it much higher you can't see enough of the ground glass to focus and compose. Third, the center column adds weight and cost, unnecessarily so IMHO. There may be users out there who have a different opinion about the value of a center column for LF photography but I have two tripods, one with and the other without a center column. I use the center column quite a bit for medium format and digital photography but I've never used it that I can remember with my LF camera.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Tony,

We handle both Giottos and Berlebach in the US. The current MT line supports 33 pounds. The series introduced at Photokina and that will be here in Spring supports 25 pounds as it is a lighter version.

Bob,
    Nothing personal but that answer is what scares me about buying a Giottos. B&H and Adorama are currently advertising the MT-9170 at 26.5 Lbs. Your saying the current ones are 33 LBS, but the new ones in spring will be rated at 26.5 Lbs.. So B&H Adorama are selling pods that are not available yet? If this is true, the bigger issue would be why would a manufacturer change the max capicity (Which could only be done from altering the build) of a tripod and keep the same model number? I really like the Giottos but having doubts about the rated capicity is a major concern.

-Tony

Tony,

Our weight is correct. And are the capacity in the brochures from the factory for the models on the market currently.

I forget is the 9170 the four section or the three section? I have the four section model. It has had no problem with holding my Ansco 8x10 [13lbs??] or my Cambo 8x10 monorail. 13+ pounds I think. Those are biggest cameras I have-) I guess with lens the most I've had on is 16+ or so.

It's better to go to the manufacturer websites then to trust the dealer websites. When I was looking to buy some lights last year the B&H website had the shipping weight for the lights I wanted at a crazy figure. Shipping would have been more then the cost of the lights. I don't know how many items B&H carries but it's enough that errors can be expected to creep in.

Nick,
    The 9170 is the 3 section tripod, the 9180 is 4 section. That appears to be the only difference between the two. I would go with the 3 sections just because it seams like it would have less places for problems to occur. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

The manufacturer's website says 12KG/26.5 LBS.. www.giottos.com

Those old Davis Sanford floating tripods work with the LX (I have both 4x5 and 8x10 LX). I have the model A (floating center) and BG (gear lift), both with nice heads. The BG is rather heavy. They are dirt cheap at the bay, I got the BG for $ 51 shipped.