Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my vacation! Scotland/UK or Yellowstone?

Help me plan my vacation! Scotland/UK or Yellowstone?

So...I'm going to take 3 or 4 weeks in November to photograph. It's not the best time of year but it's all I can manage. I want to do something significant so I've narrowed it down to 2 options. I'd love to hear any thoughts on whether or not this is the time of year to be visiting these places. Internet searches have turned up little:

1. Yellowstone and the southwest. One week in Yellowstone and then down to the SW to hit Sedona, the Grand Canyon et al.

2. Scotland. I've always wanted to travel to Scotland to photograph. 2 weeks in Scotland and then one week in Britain and Ireland.

I'm open to any suggestions and any advice is appreciated!

Re: Help me plan my vacation! Scotland/UK or Yellowstone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chini View Post
    So...I'm going to take 3 or 4 weeks in November to photograph. It's not the best time of year but it's all I can manage. I want to do something significant so I've narrowed it down to 2 options. I'd love to hear any thoughts on whether or not this is the time of year to be visiting these places. Internet searches have turned up little:

1. Yellowstone and the southwest. One week in Yellowstone and then down to the SW to hit Sedona, the Grand Canyon et al.

2. Scotland. I've always wanted to travel to Scotland to photograph. 2 weeks in Scotland and then one week in Britain and Ireland.

I'm open to any suggestions and any advice is appreciated!
    this outfit are offering something a little different. http://www.virgingalactic.com/
    Last edited by robc; 13-Oct-2006 at 19:46.

late autumn in the UK usually means wet.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/climate/uk/index.html

You are probably getting into snow season in Yellowstone...at least the potential is pretty high. The southwest is really nice now. I live in the Phx metro area and we are experiencing daytime temps in the low to mid 80's now. November will be a little cooler...maybe in the 70's...usually fairly dry this time of year.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 13-Oct-2006 at 21:00.

Spain

What kind of subjects do you want to shoot? What other kinds of things interest you? The weather in the mountains can shut you down in November, but then Novembers can sometimes be quite mild. If you don't mind risking the possibility of having to ride out a storm for a five days in a Motel 6 you might find Yellowstone a very rewarding opportunity.

I don't know anything about Scotland, but the South West should be a safe bet. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon will probably be closed but there is plenty more to the Grand Canyon, Utah and Arizona to see, explore and be inspired.

Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

My vote would be to skip Yellowstone and just concentrate on the southwest. Yellowstone will be too cold and snowed in, and there's more than enough in the southwest to keep you busy for a long while. Start off in the four corners area, do all the classic redrock/ancestral Puebloan landscape photography sites (Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, etc.) and then head for the desert regions of southern New Mexico and Arizona (White Sands, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, Saguaro, Organ Pipe, etc.). Of course, there's countless other awesome destinations along the way that will keep you more than occupied.
    Brian Vuillemenot

i'm from scotland, it's a great destination for landscape but november is not the best time, chances are rain and cloud. you'll need to work hard and get very few opportunities, but you will get them.

however, i'm with franks suggestion, also, i live in spain and the "alpujaras" in the sierra nevada will be simple stunning early november.

I'm in Scotland. Right now it gets light around 8.30 am, and the sun is down by 7pm. By mid November you'll have 8 hours (or less, depending on weather) of workable daylight per day. It's been flat, grey and wet for days. Hills are running wet, ground squelching underfoot . . . If you want dark, brooding landscapes, or night shooting, come on over. Best time to come here for shooting is April/May, or possibly August/September. We love our little country, but if I had time off in November I'd be going someplace else . . .

If you're in Scotland end of October / start of November, then there's an LF gathering around Glencoe - approx twenty or so of us are heading that way to see if we can get a shot or two in the bag, hopefully showing some Autumn colour... (between the downpours anyway)
    Last edited by Andrew_4548; 14-Oct-2006 at 05:44.