Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- Part Deux

Talking How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- Part Deux

In my ongoing efforts to test the boundaries of the photographic world, I have undertaken an informal quest to quantify the methods described in Q.T.'s exellent List of Large Format Mistakes. Despite my best intentions, my feeble efforts have, to date, covered only a very few of the many choices therein. So many mistakes, so little film...

Today, however, I am proud to announce the discovery of a new and ingenious way to screw up that QT seems not to have mentioned!

I have a couple of film holders that don't have the little "low spot" under the end of the film, making it difficult sometimes to hook the exposed film with a fingernail when trying to extract it from the holder. If you're not careful, and sufficiently ham-fingered (I am an amateur radio operator, therefore ham-fingered by definition,) you can accidentally bend the film so far, when your fingernail finally does get under the film, as to actually crease the emulsion. How many of us knew, that when you put extreme pressure on a film emulsion it will develop as if exposed to light? Yah, I think I heard something about that. Maybe 30 years ago or so.

Ah, the sacrifices we make in our selfless efforts to expand the knowledge base of humanity. Fortunately (for me) this was one of those times that I actually did make a duplicate exposure, so the lesson was not too expensive.

FWIW, I now keep a guitar pick inside my changing bag at all times. When I get to one of the holders that can lead to this form of stupidity, I use the pick to lift the edge of the film instead of digging at it with a fingernail...

In Your Service.....

Michael E. Gordon

Re: How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- Part Deux

Great idea with the guitar pick!

nice photo of the nice little cloud under the bridge ;-)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

One trick I've discovered (after getting stress marks on several sheets) is to hold the film holder "upside down". By that I mean holding the holder flat, and pulling the film out of the bottom side instead of the top. That way gravity helps in getting a tiny gap between the film and the holder, and the film slides out much more easily. After all, you can't see anything anyway in the dark, so it doesn't matter if you "can't see what you're doing".

You could also whip out the Dremel tool and make a finger notch. Otherwise I will await the picture of the guitar pick when it sneaks into a holder when you are loading.:-)

Smile Re: How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- Part Deux

Cheer up! You have apparently documented for the first time ever a lenticular cloud at such a low altitude.....

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I love the guitar pick idea - gonna do that myself! Thanks.

As for the image itself (evil thought here ), if you photoshoped the arm of Spiderman sticking out at just the right spot, you might have something you could sell to one of the tabloids.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Alan: "How many of us knew, that when you put extreme pressure on a film emulsion it will develop as if exposed to light?"

Not me, Alan. Always assumed there would be jagged cracky lines near the pressure point . Only now, this minute, do I finally know the 'why' of those mysterious occasional light 'fades' along the notched side of some of my past developed sheets.

Obviously I've got to study more ... and stop bending film ... and consider a pick ... or stop biting my nails.

Bruce

Being finger nail challenged I have been using guitar picks for ages. They make a sometimes frustrating task very easy and I can unload film in a flash. I also keep one laying around when loading in case a sheet gets in the wrong slot.

Good idea using the pick, I never thought about it and I manufacture them! I use an old piece of 4x5 film trimmed to a semi point that gives a better handle, is thinner, and is always available.