Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Print identification

Re: Print identification

I sign the print in the front with pencil with the nimber of the edition, then on verso I stamo it and then I write that the image has been printed from original negative by me in the year...and I specify in words the number of the print and the edition .
    and then I sign it.

Your question is specifically about matted and framed prints however I'll add something here because given most are mainly producing digital prints these days there are additional options for what we might do.

My approach is certainly rather unique. If I were selling mounted or framed prints my print identification would probably be more conventional using some kind of fancy metalized label on the back as better fine art framers sometimes do. In my case, I am only selling customers unmounted Fuji Crystal Archive Lightjet prints that are shipped rolled in 4 inch diameter tubes. What I do is make use out of the whitespace which anyone producing such prints ought to be including around their images to fascilliate framing of the print to a mat. Although after framed, such is going to be hidden under a mat, such is always there and the customer is of course aware of that. The same information is available when a customer brings up any image on my home page index thus giving them access to the information even if they had not made a copy or forgotten what that was. Thus I include one-inch borders around the actual image area however just don't leave it white but rather add both color and luminance control structures for quality control in order to guarantee consistent production from my lab as well as image information including a title, image number, and several other items. ...David

http://www.davidsenesac.com/print_example.html

The title and image numbers are identical to that which is on my ordering page table of images"

http://www.davidsenesac.com/david_ordering.html

As it's only an addiction rather than a vocation for me. I've never given any thought to something to put on the back. It has got me to thinking, should I use " The part you payed for is on the other side", or " This side to wall"?

Aside from a framed matted print being signed and identified with copyright/location/materials used per one's personal routine, I always stamp and pencil the visible backboard with all the info hidden within - so someone down the line doesn't have to tear the framed print apart only to codify.

PS John - I only screw around too, but I don't want a genuinely-curoius grandkid tearing a picture apart to find out if really is 80% palladium 20% platinum, etc. after I'm long gone.
    Last edited by bruce terry; 30-Oct-2006 at 12:04.