Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photokina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photokina

Any new toys from Photokina this year?

Last edited by Emmanuel BIGLER; 3-Oct-2006 at 06:12.

Re: Photokina

I'm not sure the announcements were literally at Photokina, I started seeing rumors a week or two before, but the big news for me was the new printers from Epson and HP. 17" wide prints for around $1,000, 24" wide prints for not a whole lot more . One of the HPs is self-profiling.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'm not sure the announcements were literally at Photokina, I started seeing rumors a week or two before, but the big news for me was the new printers from Epson and HP. 17" wide prints for around $1,000, 24" wide prints for not a whole lot more . One of the HPs is self-profiling.
    Brian,

There are lots of reports appearing on the Epson 3800. With it's much improved dithering and more economical black ink switching, this appears to be a great deal at approx $1295. I'm thinking of getting one as more & more of by work is settling in on 16x20 / 16x24.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Brian,

There are lots of reports appearing on the Epson 3800. With it's much improved dithering and more economical black ink switching, this appears to be a great deal at approx $1295. I'm thinking of getting one as more & more of by work is settling in on 16x20 / 16x24.

Regards,
    I too had pretty well decided on the 3800 to replace my aging and 13" limited 2200 also. However, the more I read about a couple of the HP printers the more intrigued I am, especially the one (or maybe there's more than one) with the profiling feature. I haven't yet been able to keep the HP model numbers and features in my mind but IIRC there's one that will print 24" wide and that costs under $2000. I'm going to wait about six months so that I'll have a chance to read some user reports and then decide.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The Alpa 12XY looks very interesting (but out of my range). I downloaded the photos and it seems like it is... a large format camera for the high-end digital world. A large paltform that allows you to -- perfectly -- stitch six high-res medium format digital back captures. Beautiful machining too.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The Alpa 12XY looks very interesting (but out of my range). I downloaded the photos and it seems like it is... a large format camera for the high-end digital world. A large paltform that allows you to -- perfectly -- stitch six high-res medium format digital back captures. Beautiful machining too.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention here.
    I think the 12XY really is the future dream machine for the architectural and interior guys who can justify the cost (i certainly can not ...).
    5000 EUR only for the body which is a (very well) machined "metal plate" with shift possibilities. 2500-4000 per lens, 2000 for a 6x9 back, >15.000 for a digital back...

Some other manufacturers may do similar things marginal cheaper, but in terms of design, engineering, finish, usability they won´t reach the 12xy.
    Sounds like a commercial, i know, but i was truly impressed with it.
    What impressed me even more was the kind and helpful attitude of the Alpa guys, i also had the pleasure to talk to Mr. Capaul-Weber himself. Nice guys.
    BTW: all 12xy´s of the first production is already sold out. Waiting time for new orders is 6 months minimum...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    ...Some other manufacturers may do similar things marginal cheaper, but in terms of design, engineering, finish, usability they won´t reach the 12xy. ...
    Tastes are personal but let's see some facts. Usability?? The ready to shoot camera weight is more than 4kg... That limits the usability as a handheld machine... The new Arca Swiss R camera is certainly an adversary to count with!
    The Alpa wants to create and bangs on the idea that it is the camera that makes pictures. I'm afraid, it is just a half of the truth... Personally I await the Arca Swiss R with more interest.

What?

No updated version of the inexpensive "cube?"

That would be a nice toy to have but, at $1,500, it's just toooooo costly!

Now, that Technika 3000 is a sweet looking camera.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    What?

No updated version of the inexpensive "cube?"

That would be a nice toy to have but, at $1,500, it's just toooooo costly!

Now, that Technika 3000 is a sweet looking camera.

Cheers
    I would give up my camera before I give up my Cube!! It doesn't need an update!!..EC