Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: View Camera vs. Field Camera

Re: View Camera vs. Field Camera

You basically asked the question: which is better a view camera or a view camera? So some clarification was in order.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Some factors to consider, not necessarily in any order:

• Portability (size, weight)
    • Movements: How many different kinds of movements, and range of each
    • Durability and finish of materials
    • Suitability of controls to your hands and to the way you work
    • Rigidity
    • Ability to accommodate short and long lenses
    • Resistance to weather and extreme climate
    • Modular, interchangeable parts
    • Affordability
    • Availability of parts or components

Choices affect one another. If you want small and light, you may sacrifice in rigidity and the ability to accommodate short and long lenses. Or you might choose a camera with all of these, but discover that it's outside your price range.

What do you plan to photograph ? Where ? If you intend to make photos of mountains in the Andes, the recommendation may be different than if you need to shoot indoor architecture.

The Kodak Masterview may be too heavy for you to carry, unless you plan to travel with it in the car. The lens may be great for portraits, but it may not give you much coverage for view camera movements.

For lenses, consider these factors:

• Image quality
    • Size
    • Weight
    • Circle of coverage
    • Filter size
    • Affordability

Again, the choices you make are inter-related.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 2-Oct-2006 at 16:41.

I like rail cameras (Toyo 45GX, 45D, 810G) in the studio but I have used them in the field. Heavy and slow to set up.

I like field cameras (Toyo 45AII, 810M, Wisner DX) in the field but I have used them in the studio. Light, fast to set up but limited movements. Good choice for location portraits when I need to work fast and don't need movements.

There are also hybrid cameras like the Toyo VX125 and Arca Swiss That give many features of both types of cameras. Compact, good movement east set up but usualy high priced. As my son uses my AII more I am useing the VX125 in the field more. Not as light or small as the AII but tons of movement, Great for wide angle closeups.

There is no one magic camera that will do it all. Rent or borrow different cameras. Take a LF class, attend a workshop or LF gathering. Get your hands on as many cameras as you can and decide what camera will best fill your needs. You may need more than one camera to fill all of your needs.

I started with a Toyo field camera then found a good deal on a toyo rail camera, with an adaptor I can use the same boards on each camera.

I think it is more important to get somthing and just start shooting than finding the "right" camera. You can change later or buy a second one, or two, or three, or four.......

Besides the arguements and miscommunications, $600 is about 2X what it is worth.

If you tell us what kind of photography you do, we could guide you better...but if you just want opinions...well, here is mine. I hate packing my view camera out in the field because it is not designed for that. I love packing my Canham field camera though as it is designed for back packing.
    So, what kind of photography do you usually do?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    There is no one magic camera that will do it all. ...
    There is. But it's expensive, out of production, and almost impossible to find.
    I didn't believe there was one until I got hold of a Carbon Infinity, but if anything is "the magic do-it-all camera" that's it. Expect to pay at least $2000 for one, though...

Just buy the darn thing and play with it awhile. You'll soon learn what you want and what you don't want in a view camera, then you can go find the camera that suits your needs better.

BTW Frank is right---it is 2x what you should be paying for that set up.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As I noted previously, because of different innovative designs, whether a given camera is usable in the field or not is more complicated than whether it is a 'monorail' or 'field camera'. Certainly many monorails designed for studio use would be awkward to carry around. But my Toho FC-45X is essentially a full monorail camera, while it is lighter than most any field camera, and it comes apart easily for transport. There are other monorails which also would be relatively easy to carry and use in the field. Moreover some 'field' cameras have most of the flexibility of a standard monorail. So always look at the features of the specific camera without worrying about what it is called.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    There is. But it's expensive, out of production, and almost impossible to find.
    I didn't believe there was one until I got hold of a Carbon Infinity, but if anything is "the magic do-it-all camera" that's it. Expect to pay at least $2000 for one, though...
    Ole, I have never seen this camera. What makes it so special?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Ole, I have never seen this camera. What makes it so special?
    It's portable, relatively lightweight, packs into it's own "tortoise shell", has more movements than most monorails, takes lenses from 65mm to 550mm without changing bellows... It is also way over-designed for most practical uses, but perfect for nature photography in areas with vertical landscapes. Like around here.

http://www.galerie-photo.com/carbon-infinity.html