Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Polaroid characteristics: professional advice needed!

LF Polaroid characteristics: professional advice needed!

Hello all, I am working at a small design agency, and we're working on a design concept for which I'd like to get some professional advice. We have been commissioned to come up with an invitation card concept for which the theme is time, and we came up with the idea of using large format polaroids--the ones which require the peeling of a protective film to trigger image formation--that contain the necessary party details. The idea is that we'll have a photographer shoot an image with the polaroid, leave the protective film untouched, and send it to the guests, who will have instructions to peel away the film and see the image appear slowly before their eyes.

Unfortunately--and this might be evident already from my language--we are quite unfamiliar with the characteristics of these polaroids, and are not sure at all whether this might work. Will the polaroid still retain its image even if say--the protective film is peeled quite a few days after the image is shot? If so, how might its image be affected or altered?

Thank you very much for all your assistance!!
    Last edited by cyclicaljoi6; 1-Oct-2006 at 19:03.

Re: LF Polaroid characteristics: professional advice needed!

Unfortunately, the Polaroid you are describing needs to pass through a roller system to develop before peeling. The roller starts the development process and then the development needs to be timed based on temperature -- usually around 60 - 90 seconds. So unless you plan on shipping the roller/processor with the Polaroid shot, your idea probably won't work.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Now, please forgive me for what I know would be a totally ignorant question, but are there uh, any polaroids that can do something like this without a roller system

No !

ok....so just to confirm:

1. these polaroids require a roller to start the chemical process
    2. the process, once started, takes 60-90 seconds

is this bracket the timeframe within which I need to peel off the film? now, what happens after the 60-90 second time frame?

many, many thanks beforehand!

Yes -- the print continues to develop until it is peeled, so if you don't peel it then it will over-develop.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

The concept is clever, but, as noted, impractical using only the 4x5 Polaroid sheets. You might consider talking to your printer to explore the posibility of sandwiching the processed Polaroids in simulated paper sleaves that the recipient would peel apart. My guess would be that while possible, they would be rather expensive, however.

Actually I was recently told in a photography class that (at least with type 55 BW polaroid films), the idea that you risk "overdevelopment" if you wait longer than 30 sec before peeling the film is a myth.

Having had no experience with this, I can't judge the veracity of this statement myself.

The other issue with Type 55, however, is that the print must be coated promptly or it will deteriorate in a matter of hours. And I can speak from experience that the other B&W Polaroid materials (at least assuming the 4x5 size is similar to the same-speed 3x4 pack films) *can* overdevelop, and further will likely be impossible to peel 24 hours after development, because the gel will have dried and glued the negative to the print.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Typical polaroid materials also squeeze out residual developer in the process, and that developer is present when you peel the print apart. So even if you had a practical way to make it work, having clients that aren't aware of that (slightly) caustic "goop" on part of the peel-apart paper might not be something your lawyers would particularly like.

Polaroid's caution on many peel-apart films is: Caution This film uses a small amount of caustic paste. If any paste appears, avoid contact with skin, eyes and mouth and keep away from children and animals. If you get some paste on your skin, wipe it off immediately, then wash with water to avoid an alkali burn. If eye contact occurs, quickly wash the area with plenty of water and see a doctor. Keep discarded materials away from children, animals, clothing and furniture.

I've never experienced even a tingle from short-term contact, but then I know to wash my hands if I get residual developer on skin.

Data sheets here:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/film...4_5/index.html

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Hamley; 2-Oct-2006 at 09:26.