Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback for Architecture with a 6x9 or 2x3 LF

Re: Feedback for Architecture with a 6x9 or 2x3 LF

This has been a very interesting thread to read. So is the idea of using the roll film back on the larger 6x9 due to the greater range of movements? I have heard of advocating a roll film back to pre-crop images for some clients/ADs that don't think through cropping that well; that being the only other consideration I have given to roll film backs on 4x5 cameras.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Sorry Gordon, are you asking about using roll film on the larger 4x5?

I use 6x9 roll film to:

a)save on film and processing
    b)not have to load film holders on long shooting trips
    c)never run out of loaded holders during a shoot or not have to worry about having the "right" film loaded in you holders.
    d)free me up to take more aesthetic risks

I use it in a 4x5 because the one I have is bullet proof, designed to shoot architecture, extremely easy and quick to set up and use and will take a 47mm lens on a flat lens board with full movements without changing to a bag bellows.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Oct-2006 at 18:04.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, thanks for the comments and links to your work. Both are a huge help. Understandably you have many years using the format so I think you make it look easier than it probably is using a 'small' LF camera. Less forgiving for errors.

I see you went to UofC, if you haven't been back, Calgary's changed. Big time.
    thanks for the help.
    Jan

Thanks Kirk. I was thinking that many 4x5 cameras would have a greater range of movement than dedicated 6x9 cameras; so that was what seemed to me to be the advantage. However, the points you have made make more sense than simply allowing a greater shift/tilt/swing/rise/fall movement.

I guess that points me at the point of adding roll films backs to my gear. I currently only shoot Readyloads and Quickloads. Definitely see now the advantage of smaller roll film. Thanks!

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Daer Jan
    I am using an arca swiss 6x9 cm since I started with professional architectural photography in 2004. I worked with transparency (astia 100) and color negative film (portra 160) before switching to digital this year. The advantange of the arca is that it can be used with a digital back. And it works with lenses from 24 mm upwards.

Dominique Wehrli
    http://architekturbild.ch

Having briefly owned a Graphic 2x3, I must chime in with my opinion that futzing back and forth between the ground glass and the rollfilm holder is a total drag. My understanding is that Ebony has best addressed this issue, with a ground glass that remains fixed on the camera, but rotates out of the way so you can put on the holder.

Ebony users, do I have this right? And would you agree with me that this feature is highly valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by CXC View Post
    Having briefly owned a Graphic 2x3, I must chime in with my opinion that futzing back and forth between the ground glass and the rollfilm holder is a total drag. My understanding is that Ebony has best addressed this issue, with a ground glass that remains fixed on the camera, but rotates out of the way so you can put on the holder.

Ebony users, do I have this right? And would you agree with me that this feature is highly valuable?
    Yes CXC, you are correct. I own an Ebony 4x5 and the Ebony 2x3 back shown below is a snap to use. Compose on the gg then open the door and slide your film magazine on and shoot. One reason I purchased the Ebony was for this feature.

I am both a photographer and architect, and I've been using a Linhof Technikardan S23 for about 12 years. I love this camera - TKs suit me perfectly - but have some observations:

When working with 6x7cm (as I do - Rapid Rollex holders are quick and convenient and fit behind the sprung ground glass) your technique has to be pretty good, as there is much less room for error than with larger sizes. Focusing and DoF are real issues, and you just can't be sloppy.

I use an Arca-Swiss binocular viewer with a home-made adaptor plate which clips on to the ground glass frame and enables good viewing and magnification for focusing. I tried all sorts of loupes etc before, but nothing was as good as I liked. The Linhof importers in the UK http://www.linhofstudio.com/ now make a version of this plate, but it wasn't available when I started. Recommended - but the Arca viewer is expensive, too.

I also made a depth-of-field calculator for the focusing knob, something like (but simpler than) http://www.largeformatphotography.info/dofknob/

I am delighted with my camera, and several "experts" have told me that I am working on 5x4" rather than 2x3" - even when I tell them I don't own a 5x4 camera. BUT I really don't think I would have had that success on ANY 2x3 camera without these two modifications. So do think things through carefully, and do assume you will need to take time to get to know your equipment well.

It's all worth it, though. I have no desire to do 5x4 at all, although sometimes 8x10 tempts...

Post Re: Feedback for Architecture with a 6x9 or 2x3 LF

Hi Jan,

I use 6x9 Arca Swiss mainly for landscapes and flowers. It is a great camera, very rigid, precise and with lots of movements. If you carry your camera in a backpack (as I do), there is not much difference between a monorail or a folding field camera as far as the protection of the camera from environmental hazards (e.g. dust, debris, dirt, etc.) is concerned. I take the camera out of the backpack and put it directly on to the tripod while the backpack stays on the ground. It is the backpack that takes the brunt of environmental hazards. If you don't want to use a backpack, you could try using a shoulder bag that can be swung in front to take out the camera without leaving it on the ground. The camera comes out whenever I find a good scene worth taking a picture. It is then you will have to worry about protection of the camera. In that respect, you will have the same issues with either a monorail or a field camera. In fact, it might be easier to clean a monorail than a field camera because everything is very accessible. Also, Arca Swiss is very modular camera allowing the user to take it apart, clean the parts and put them together very easily and quickly. Other advantages of 6x9 Arca Swiss are the convenience of using the binocular viewer, the bright ground glass and ability to move up to 4x5 (albeit at a considerable expense) should you change your mind about 6x9.

Regards,

// Atul

You folks on this thread who say you've switched to digital -- are you using DSLRs or something like a Better Light?