Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprintscan 45 in XP?

Sprintscan 45 in XP?

I got myself a cheap Polaroid Sprintscan 45, and I'm wondering is there a way to get this working on windows XP? It's scsi scanner, and windows seems to regonize it and even installs somekind of driver.. vuescan should work with this scanner, but it does nothing.

If there is someone using this on XP, it would be nice to hear how did you got it working.

Re: Sprintscan 45 in XP?

You should be able to make it work the same way I could make the Saphir Ultra work. With a SCSI card and vuescan. I think it is supported. The old SCSI cards are good enough. They are recognised by XP and vuescan does not need anything else.

If I remember correctly some old SCSI scanners running on XP need to have an ASPI Layer installed on Windows XP for the scanners to work. I had to install the ASPI Layer on a PC when XP was first released to get an old HP 4C to work. Do a search on SCSI scanner Windows XP ASPI Layer and see if you can find something that might help.

Good Luck.

Ben

This Microsoft article might touch on your problem and offer a link to the ASPI Layer from Adaptec.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300674

Thanks for the reply, i actually installed aspi drivers after some googling. But it didn't help... It's weird, as everything seems to be just right. Windows finds the scanner, it installs drivers for it, i have tried the vuescan drivers and the ones that comes with polacolor. And it's still doesn't work.. polacolor & vuescan says there is no scanner present. I'm puzzled!

BTW. sorry about staring a new thread, I just found out there were already a fresh thread about Sprintscan 45

Did you turn on your scanner before starting the computer? SCSI devices need to be on for the computer to recognize them.

I'm running a Sprintscan 45 (scsi) on XP.

I use Polacolor Insight version 5 and a fairly old Adaptec Scsi PCI card.

Are you using an inline scsi terminator in your scsi chain? Sounds like this could be the cause of your trouble.

I have a terminator, but I tried if windows would detect it without the terminator and it does.. so it might have something to do with it.

Did you use the drivers that comes with the polascan 5.0 and are located in "sprintscan drivers" folder?

Nice to hear it actually is possible to get this thing working under xp.

Well... the scanner broke so thats that ... damn, I was so close...

It's seems it was just the fuse, this machine really eats fuses. So i opened it, only to discover the fusebox is of course located under the power socket. But what I also found out was that the mirror pointing up is really dusty/dirty! In the manual, it says the green (ready) light should blink and after that it should stay on. On my scanner it does not blink, it just lights up and stays that way. It does however move the film-carrier to the staring point. I'm wondering is this normal.. could it be that it does not complete the auto test sequence, maybe because of the dim mirror?

I would also still be interested on hearing the exact driver people using this under xp are using.

From the manual :

"Turn on the scanner; the switch is next to the power
    connector. The POWER indicator light on the front of the unit
    will light, the cold cathode lamp will come on (visible
    through the slit on the top of the unit), and the READY indicator
    will flash briefly. The scanner will perform a self-test that
    lasts for a few seconds. If no problems are detected, the
    READY light will stay lit. The cold cathode lamp will also
    stay on."

So if people using this scanner could confirm this blink of the green light, it would greatly help me.

Thanks.