Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshops

Workshops

Greetings and good afternoon all. I am new to LF and have been scanning various sites looking for workshops that offer insight into practical usage of the LF camera.
    I live in NJ and would think being so close to NYC there must be someone somewhere close by? Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated. I am also very interested in workshops on wedding photography, (sorry I know it is a MF question) again any leads or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Philm

Re: Workshops

Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee`s Vision & Technique workshop in Bucks County sounds like something for you. Bucks County, Pennsylvania isn`t far from NYC.
    It`s a very nice workshop with two working photographers who`s approach to LF photography is very straightforward. I attended last year and had a great time.
    And you just have to like M&P(and Paulas great food)

Highly recommended.

Phil -

What are you thinking about in terms of timing?

You will have a lot more choices during the summer than during the Fall/Winter/Spring period.

The Peters Valley Craft Center (http://www.pvcrafts.org) usually offers several LF workshops each summer. Peters Valley is one of New Jersey's best-kept secrets. Their location in the Delaware Water Gap Recreational Area is nice (very rural) and they have a well equipped darkroom. Classes tend to range from 5 - 10 people, and rarely over 12 at a time. One of the best features, however, is that they only offer one photo workshop at a time, but it is in parallel with other workshops in ceramics, woodworking, weaving, jewelry making, blacksmithing, or painting, and the opportunity to mingle with artists and crafts people working in other disciplines is really neat. Lodging is "funky" (think college dormitory, then reduce your expectations a notch or two), but the food is outstanding.

Another option is the Fine Focus Workshop series (http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/get.html?x=120&y=15) that Bruce Barlow, Ted Harris and Richart Ritter do in New Hampshire and Vermont. They are neat guys to be with, but I suspect that the workshop will limited to shooting only since they probably won't have access to a darkroom.

Are you familiar with the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey? There is a fabulous LF photographer who hangs around there who may be able to point you in the direction of something more local. Look up Ray Yaros.

Finally, if you want something sooner, the best option might be to hook up with a LF photographer for a few outings.

[QUOTE=Louie Powell;184911]

Another option is the Fine Focus Workshop series (http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/get.html?x=120&y=15) that Bruce Barlow, Ted Harris and Richart Ritter do in New Hampshire and Vermont. They are neat guys to be with, but I suspect that the workshop will limited to shooting only since they probably won't have access to a darkroom.

We have a workshop coming up at the end of October (after the Leaf Peeper Expensive Motel Rates change). We'll happily spend all the time you need to get you familiar with LF.

We do stress shooting because that's the fun part, and we have some of the best places to photograph in New England very close by. My darkroom is available for anything you might want to learn, especially sheet film development in trays (a fundamental skill easily learned in 30 minutes or less). But if you want, we can do other things as well. We don't usually schedule darkroom session, because darkroom skills are best done hands-on, and that's tough for more than one person at a time.

Our workshops are usually small, so we can give a lot of individual attention. Our workshop handout on all aspects of photography just printed out at 141 pages, mostly intended to guide your activities once you get home.

We're easy to get to from NJ, too.

Come see us!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I can second the Smith/Chamlee workshop recommendation. Especially considering that it's only three days, it is fantastically good. (Paula's meal alone is almost worth the price of admission.)
    This weekend I go to Bruce Barlow's Fall Foliage 3 day Workshop in New Hampshire. The Weatherman promises rain and cold weather -- ugh! Not exactly ideal leaf-peeping conditions, and no darkroom either. It'll be interesting to see if/how they turn this into a positive learning experience. I'll report back.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I haven't had the pleasure of attending Bruce's workshop but I've attended both Michael & Paula's and Tillman Crane's at Peters Valley. I wouldn't recommend Michael and Paula's for a beginner even though I think it's an excellent workshop. They teach their method of doing things, which is somewhat unique to them. I think something a little broader based that involves large format photography in general, rather than a particular way of doing it, would be better for a beginner.

As an aside, if you attend Peters Valley in the summer make sure you request (better yet, demand) a downstairs room. A heatwave was in full force when I attended and I nearly died in an upstairs room that was "cooled" (using the term loosely) only by an ancient fan.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Phil,

I'd also advocate teaming up with another LF photographer to get hands-on training in a person-person session. Sometimes, a workshop can be a difficult place to get this personal attention because there can be so many attendees.

I'm sure there are shooters in your neck of the woods who would be more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with you...

Brian,

Did you have to pay extra for the "weight-loss" portion of the workshop at Peters Valley?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

As a follow on to Bruce's post .... my new facilities will be completed very shortly and they include a 28x32 fully equipped studio with all manner of lightig, spacious darkroom, full digital production facilities with Microtek 1800f and Screen Cezanne scanners, etc. I built these new facilities in part to serve the needs of our workshp participants.

I attended the Fine Focus Workshop last October, and while I have been a large format photograper for over 20 years, Bruce turned we experienced photographres loose on his estate to take some photos while he showed the newly acquainted to LF photography everything from seeing up the tripod to using tilts, swings etc. Because of their small class size they have the ability to adjust the workshop based on the interests/experince level of the participants.

I think you'll enjoy working with Ted, Richard and Bruce.

John

Hello everybody,

I am new to LF photo, have 4 x 5 equipment and reside around Washington, DC. I know quite a bit about optics and was using 35mm before. Do you know of any workshops close to me where I could get some instruction on how to use my LF equipment? Thanks.

ynot