Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: backpack for 11x14

Re: backpack for 11x14

Clay,

I don't know that you are going to find a ready made pack that is going to serve your needs. Back when I still shot 12X20, I was thinking of going with an external frame pack and having someone make the necessary campartments for film holders, lenses, camera etc. These could easily be lashed to the pack frame...My 12/20 already came with a canvas enclosure for camera/film holders. In that arrangement, the film holders served to protect the ground glass.

Carts seem to be pretty limited in rough terrain...at least in my view.

Kevin Saitta comes to mind of someone who probably sew up anything that you need.

Thanks, all...

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    As for a tripod... have you looked at the Gitzo 1325?
    It's comparable to the 340 I already have. The legset would be marginally adequate, but the matching 3-way head is not, and the combination with camera on top is too top-heavy for comfort, I'm afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard
    The pack is made by Dana Designs and it is called the Astralplane.
    Thanks, Stephen, I was not aware of that brand. I looked at the web listings; the problem with those, as with the other hiker-oriented brands I've looked at, is that the specifications mention only the total volume, which doesn't tell me what I need to know, which is the actual dimensions. At least in the picture, the larger Dana, Kelty and other similar bags seem to all have a relatively long and narrow shape. But the camera needs a space at least 17"x17"x7", and a holder or two adds to the thickness. What are the actual dimensions of your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Oren, if money is less important than the health of your lower back, I would highly recommend just swallowing hard and buying a gitzo 1548 carbon fiber tripod.
    Clay, I swallowed very hard when I bought the Ries. The issue with the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods isn't their rigidity, it's that I would end up with a rig that's extremely top heavy. I've had some close calls on uneven terrain in the field even with combinations that are much better balanced than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee Galang
    But now that I have a cambo monorial 11x14, I will be taking this monster deep in the jungle as well late this year.
    < gulp > I am in awe - look forward to hearing of your adventures and seeing what you come up with...

Oren, perhaps a Kelty Freighter would suit your requirements. It is available as a frame only or with large sac:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/sf-1/be...viewscrx.aspx#

Renee knows what he's talking about. Any other option just adds yet more weight. A simple cover-bag padded with some foam on strategic places and well strapped to the frame is by far the easiest and the least heavy solution. I have one frame for several cameras and nobody even knows that the cover conceals precious stuff. Only 2 straps with quick buckles are necessary to hold the camera steady in all positions...

Oren, I'd second the 5 series idea, I have an unnamed 5 series tripod with a 1570M head, holds my C1 (Orbit actually) like it's not even there. Definately get rid of the center column and just put a head plate in, best thing I ever did, lost a bunch of weight, and made it more rigid. If you buy used, email me for some suggestions to tighten the gitzos up, as both of mine (a studex compact perf. and the 5 series) had very slight movement at the point where the legs screw in and are riveted.

erie

Eric Biggerstaff

Hey Oren,

I have an old, original Lowe Alpine Systems Expedition pcak with side pockets that is almost like new. It is a huge backpack with an internal frame and great harness. This is NOT a panel / front loader but is a top loader that will carry a massive amount of stuff. It is probably 20 hears old at this point but you wouldn't know it to look at it. I will donate it to you if you pay shipping.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I use a Kelty Redwing (lg) for my 8x10 and have about 4 inches estra on the side and top, and enough space in the front for 6 film holders. If you post dimensions of the camera and holders, I will measure for fit. For a tripod, I use an old Sanford and Davis floating head model B (the shorter one) wich heald my DD8x10 and Comm Ektar very easily. I stood on it once in a pinch (NOT recommended) with no damage to either of us. I weigh more than a 16x20 camera... The tripod weighs about 9.5 lbs. I replaced the spikes with dowel pieces to avoid scratching up stuff.
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Daily; 28-Sep-2006 at 18:03. Reason: Add photo of Redwing and camera

Michael - the camera needs 17x17x7, plus more thickness for a holder or two, plus some room to squeeze in a lens.

Kifaru makes a pack that I'm sure will take a 11x14. I have one. I use it for hauling deer and elk. These packs can take as much as your knees can handle. The one I have is a big detachable WATERPROOF bag and a very comfortable frame to attach it to. They also make other large packs that are more traditional in style that might be big enough too. Their website is down right now www.kifaru.com You can try their number(303) 278-9155. They make quality products. They are more expensive but worth it.

Tip: A pair of walking sticks will help you carry bigger loads plus they reduce a lot of stress on you knees.

Good luck,

Between here and there

Paul,

I guess the website should be www.kifaru.net - the backpacks looked good.