Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: backpack for 11x14

backpack for 11x14

Up to now I've tinkered with my 11x14 Korona only around the house and the yard. The other day, in a fit of I don't know what sort of lunacy, I felt a sudden compulsion to expose a couple of sheets in the woods at a nearly wildlife sanctuary where I frequently take pictures in smaller formats.

The largest pack I have is a LowePro SuperTrekker AW. I found that a minimalist kit consisting of the camera, one holder, one small lens, and a BTZS hood just barely squeezed into the SuperTrekker, with a fair amount of pushing, shoving and tugging to make it all work. Weight-wise too, by the time I added the big Ries on my shoulder, the kit was at the very limit of what I could manage. At any rate, it worked for what I had in mind, which was just a ten minute walk from the parking lot, though my muscles are still protesting bitterly several days after the event.

It would be nice to have a pack with just a bit more wiggle room, so I could fit everything without a struggle - and perhaps eventually, if I can make progress in my conditioning efforts, handle just a bit more weight - say two holders instead of one, or a larger lens.

This is definitely not for long distance hiking - that's way beyond what I can manage. Rather, I just need something that will allow me to carry stuff for up to a 10 or 15 minute walk along trails where wheeled carts are forbidden. That may not sound like much, but it would open up all sorts of possibilities compared to having to stay on the roads and work directly out of the trunk or off of a cart.

I've read all the relevant prior threads I can find; there were a few hints, but they were also full of advice about using carts or not bothering at all. Well, I have a cart waiting for when I'm in the mood, and I have a boxy case where the camera normally lives.

So that angle is taken care of. Now I'm looking specifically for input from anyone who is actually using a backpack today to carry an 11x14 camera: specific brands and model names would be terrific if possible, but any advice that might point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

(And yes, it's nuts to lug the big Ries on the trail. I'm looking around for another tripod that would be a bit lighter and more hand- and shoulder-friendly while still being able to safely support a 25 pound load, but I'm still pondering whether I can justify the expense of another pricey tripod for what may be relatively modest usage. We'll see...)

Re: backpack for 11x14

I can't help with backpacks, and don't know how its weight compares to your Ries, but this Linhof tripod

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=713

is easily carried by hand using its center column and might be up to supporting the Korona.

Not shooting 11x14 myself, but I had luck with backpacks before by going to the local sporting goods store (or perhaps even army surplus store) and digging through their bin of used backpacks. I found a really old Kelty backpack for $25 that would be bigger than any dedicated photo backpack you could currently get. Something like that might be the ticket for your situation.

You might want to investigate a harness meant for backpacking painters' french easels. I have one and it would work for my 11x14 B&J, but I'd rather use the cart (an adapted 3-wheel jogging stroller).

FWIW, Oren, I heard the best backpack for an 11x14 was made of wood - essentially two Xs with a high cross-over point, connected together with thin planks and worn on the back of a mule.

Thanks for the ideas. I did stop by the local REI earlier this evening, but although they had an extensive collection of backpacks, none was even close to having the right dimensions for an 11x14 camera. No doubt I could order something, if I knew what model I was looking for. The army surplus store idea sounds interesting, though - will look around for one nearby...

Sal, the Ries A-100/A-250 combination weighs around 17-18 pounds. Although I need to save weight, I'm nervous about having a rig that's too top-heavy, since the intended use is not on level pavement but on uneven ground, often with squishy stuff underneath. I have a Gitzo 3-series legset/3-way head combination that weighs about 9.5 pounds and does beautifully up through about a 13-14 pound load, but isn't quite robust enough for a heavy ULF camera. One option I'm thinking about is stepping up to a Gitzo 5-series combination - again a legset without center column plus a matching 3-way head - which should save 4 or 5 pounds on the Ries, and also be much hand-friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    FWIW, Oren, I heard the best backpack for an 11x14 was made of wood - essentially two Xs with a high cross-over point, connected together with thin planks and worn on the back of a mule.
    Feeling like one right about now... Say, you wouldn't happen to have any leads on a pre-owned robotic mule, would you?

Oren,

You might want to contact Bruce Laughton at http://www.photobackpacker.com and ask for his recommendations. He custom fits the Kelty backpacks, which are lighter than the equivalent LowePro.

I also use the Super Trekker AWII and find it works well for an 8x10... but I would imagine it would be a tight fit for an 11x14.

As for a tripod... have you looked at the Gitzo 1325? It's relatively light weight and supports a fair amount of weight. IIRC, the maximum supportable weight is in around 26 pounds.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I do not have an 11x14, but I carry a lot of gear on my back with my pig pack. It is the largest pack on the market and can hold up to 7200 cubic inches. It was designed for Sherpas to carry big cargo into remote areas. The pack is made by Dana Designs and it is called the Astralplane. It is a premium pack and sells for around $400. If you order it with the heaver fabric it sells for around $500. To get the 7200 cubic inch one you have to buy the large size pack. I have carried up to 85 pounds with my pack and it was bearable, although not pleasant. I have had my pack for around 15 years now and it looks brand new until a porcupine chewed it all up this summer. Dana just told me they will replace it for me at wholesale prices. The current model only comes in black, but next years model with be offered in blue, black, and green. You can take a peek at www.danadesign.com

Hello Oren,
    I do a lot of expeditions in the central Panay mountain ranges in Panay Island Philippines. I have 7 metal frame backpacks that I managed to buy from an military surplus here in Melbourne Australia. They were actually rusted and the straps were useless. I took the frames to a snad blasting shop to sand blast the rusts then I took them to a metal plating shop for zinc plating then powder coated. Now they are rust proof and I bought new heavy duty shoulder straps. Believe me my porters and guides love them. They can easily strap boxes of stuff up to 30 kgs without any problem. My expedition team walks deep in the jungle up to 25kms from the coastal town up high up the mountains to 1000 meters. Until this April I was only using 4x5. It is on an aluminium box. But now that I have a cambo monorial 11x14, I will be taking this monster deep in the jungle aswell late this year. again it will on 2 boxes and it will be strap on this frame backpack carrier. The guy that sold me this calls them South African carrier? If I were you I will look for this stuff and just strap your box of camera on. From here, it will be just your leg that you have to worry about!
    By the way, April's 2005 expedition was a great success for me because I discovered a very rare plant species of Rafflesia. The species description will be publish next month on Folia Malaysiana. I am hoping that my 4x5 photo of the flower will be on its front page! Next April I will take some 11x14 close up shot of the flower with the same lens, a marco sironar 210. Am so looking forward to take my 11x14 camera deep in the jungle!

Clay

Oren, if money is less important than the health of your lower back, I would highly recommend just swallowing hard and buying a gitzo 1548 carbon fiber tripod. That set of sticks is incredibly rigid, and with the weight you save over a Ries, you can bring your bench press set with you. I bought one of these a few years back when I was using a 40 pound 14x17, and it handled it with aplomb. Put a big majestic head on it (which weighs almost as much as the tripod) and you will have a very portable and rigid combination. Previous to buying the Gitzo, I owned a Ries tripod, which of course was excellent. But after considering the fact that my chances of needing to fight off a cave bear were pretty slim, I got the gitzo, and I have not regretted it in any way.