Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Infrared Film In 4x5 In Size???

Question Kodak Infrared Film In 4x5 In Size???

Hello,
    anybody know of a source which still has some Kodak Infrared in 4X5in. sheet film in stock. I even called Kodak in Rochester, but it seems this film is completely extinct. Any help will be appreciated.
    Cheers, Duschan

Re: Kodak Infrared Film In 4x5 In Size???

Ebay is where I got mine. That's the only way I know of to get some.

Hi Diane,
    thank you for the tip. I have been looking in Ebay on and off but, so far, haven't been lucky to find such an offer. I'll keep on trying. By the way, how was your experience with this film? I am only familiar with the 35mm version and find it quite fascinating for certain subjects, but the 4X5 tickles my fancy.
    Thank you again and have a nice day, Duschan

Cool Re: Kodak Infrared Film In 4x5 In Size???

Quote Originally Posted by mq57user
    Hi Diane,
    thank you for the tip. I have been looking in Ebay on and off but, so far, haven't been lucky to find such an offer. I'll keep on trying. By the way, how was your experience with this film? I am only familiar with the 35mm version and find it quite fascinating for certain subjects, but the 4X5 tickles my fancy.
    Thank you again and have a nice day, Duschan
    It's been a while since I shot any, but it works the same as the 35 mm version.

Kodak IR sheet film was a great product. I used it extensively until it was no more. I just used my last sheet a couple of weeks ago. It was very sensitive to fingers therefore had to be handled carefully at the edges. That's the only thing that took a while to get used to. It had farely fine grain. I made several beautiful 16x20 prints and grain was never an issue.
    I've ordered a box of Rollie's IR. Wonder what that's like....

Cool Re: Kodak Infrared Film In 4x5 In Size???

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill
    Kodak IR sheet film was a great product. I used it extensively until it was no more. I just used my last sheet a couple of weeks ago. It was very sensitive to fingers therefore had to be handled carefully at the edges. That's the only thing that took a while to get used to. It had farely fine grain. I made several beautiful 16x20 prints and grain was never an issue.
    I've ordered a box of Rollie's IR. Wonder what that's like....
    I have some 120 of this film but haven't shot it yet. I did shoot some of what I believe was the Rollei film is in 35 mm (pre-release test rolls). I treated it like my Maco 820c IR film and used an 88A filter with it to get the IR effect. You don't get it with just a red filter.

You don't get it with just a red filter.
    ...but I heard that you get some, and some is all I am after. I never really liked extreme infrared effects in my own work anyway.
    What was the grain like in 120?

Hi Andrew,
    thank you for the info. I'll keep looking. Perhaps I can get my hands on some unused package. As to the Rollei Infrared, I have been using it extensively now for more than a year and I can share the following experiences: It is a superb film when used as a panchromatic at ISO400. The tonalities are very good, handling is easy and you get great bw prints with showing hardly any grain considering the film speed. As to using it for infrared, I find it a bit limited. First of all, a red filter doesn't give any infrared effect like the Kodak. It enhances contrast but no wood effect, let alone the classic effect on vegetation and sky. You need an infrared filter and preferably bright sunlight to get some infrared effect. Again, I keep saying some since the Kodak is and remains the epitome of BW infrared photography. The only film close to it, giving much finer grain, is the MACO 820 IR. To obtain the infrared effect at its best you need to measure at ISO 6 which makes for very long exposures, even on a very bright sunny day. Best regards, Duschan

mq57user,

thanks for that info! I'll guess I'll have to get my hands on one of those #87 filters...

Macophot was supposed to release a faster version of the 820c that was more in line with stated ISOs. Anyone know if it ever came out?

Peter