Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of the Super Symmar 110 XL?

Opinions of the Super Symmar 110 XL?

There seem to be a variety of opinions of this lens. Now that Schneider has ramp ed up production, and prices have fallen, I was interested in comments from thos e using the lens.

I will use it exclusively for 4x5. Is it as sharp as claimed? What about light f alloff on 4x5. Several posters have questioned whether it is worse in this aspec t than say a 90mm f4.5.

I have looked at the graphs on Schneider's web site, and they seem to indicate t hat it has the same falloff with angle as about all of the other lenses, I presu me close to cos^4.

Thanks for sharing your experience since this will be my most used lens.

Glenn, you frighten me ! I just bought one in exchange of my Super Angulon 120. What terrible disillusions lay ahead of poor me? No, I can't believe this lens is not exceptional, though I still have to test it. Schneider reports say it is very sharp to the edges at f22, it has very little l ight falloff and covers even more than a Super-Angulon 120. It also has a lens coating that allows shooting i n the sun. In fact they are not shamed to claim it is the best lens of it's class in the world. As Schneider has an honesty reputation, I can believe it. On their web site, there is a flattering report from Jack Dyki nga on this lens. What I can say so far is that this lens is half the size and weight of the Super-Angulon 12 0 despite being in Copal 1 ! It also has a useful rear filter thread (small!). I will look closely for report s from owners. Speaking of the price fall, if you contact me I will tell you how much I paid for it.

Paul,

Can you give the link to the Jack Dykinga report on the 110mm XL? I have searched the Schneider homepage but am unable to find the article.

Thanks!

Ross, here are a few links to Schneideroptics.com pages http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdf/supersymmarxl.pdf http://www.schneideroptics.com/pressreleases/Super_Symmar_XL.html http://www.schneideroptics.com/pressreleases/pr02.htm

Oups! Sorry, the forum software has compressed and deactivated the html links. You'll have to use the copy-paste function.

Glen, take it from me this lens is everything and more that Schneider claim it to be!!! I am using it with "extreme" shift and rise/fall and have found no fall-off whatsoever. Jack Dykinga uses this lens to great effect (I believe it is the lens he uses most) and take a look at any of his work as proof of this lens' sharpness (Dykinga uses Velvia so it shows the lens'full potential). I have seen 5x7 shot with this lens and it more than adequately copes with most movements. Schneider are well known for underestimatimg image circle measurements in their literature so I wouldn't worry about it!! Here in the U.K. this lens can be bought from Robert White (www.robertwhite.co.uk) for about #860 (Stirling) and he offers a mail orderc service that is second to none, if prices are too high where you live. I only wish I could afford the 210mm XL when it arrives!!!! Regards Paul

To those considering buying this lens: I bought the 150 version for $1400 (about 1/2 the US price) from a Hong Kong dealer, New Sankyo:

newsanky@hkstar.com

They are extremely reliable in my experience, and very helpful. I can only assume that they will beat the US price on the 110 by a long shot. Obviously, you will not get the US warranty, and it depends on how you feel about grey market. But it's quite a price differential. Just my $0.02.

Nathan

From the data of Schneider's web site, the light falloff seems to be cos^4 theta. I don't find this a problem for 4x5. Wide-angle designs like the Super-Angulon have somewhat better fall-off characteristics, which might be advantagous for 5x7.

As a test of this lens, I just photographed a 12 story brick building from about half a block away, using 50 mm of lens rise and 4x5 Delta 100. Each mortar joint between each brick is clearly resolved. The negatives look sharp with a 9X loupe and over most of the field the grainess of Delta may be the limiting factor. At the very top, at 9X magnification, there MAY be a slight softening. On the other hand, the angular size of the mortar joints are smaller because of the greater distance to the subject. It may also be the light falloff changing the contrast in the negative. In my opinion, the performance of the lens was impressive.

The photo described in my previous message was taken in portrait orientation on 4x5 Delta 100 with 50 mm of front rise at f16.

The short answer is: the 110/5.6 XL is incredible. I'd be shocked if it didn't become your favorite lens.