Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii in October

Hawaii in October

I'll be going to Hawaii for the first time in less than 3 weeks. I had originally planned on taking a medium format camera that I could conveniently pack in a backpack (the primary purpose of this trip is not photography), but decided that, since I have no idea when I'll return, I'll just haul my 4x5 gear instead.

I'm thinking of using Readyloads for the trip, simply because I don't know about the cleanliness of "lightproofness" of the places I'll be staying at. I've been told that the bathrooms in my hotels don't have windows, but I'm still hesitant to count on the things being lighttight sight unseen, and there's still the dust issue.

My question is whether I'll have any difficulty using Readyloads at this time of year in Hawaii due to wind. I tried to use them in northern Arizona in some very strong winds once, and the paper envelopes just whipped around. Even if I held them in my fingers, the unsupported part would still vibrate! Obviously this wouldn't be a problem with traditional holders.

So....how's the wind in the more open places of Hawaii (Big Island) in October?

Thanks.

Re: Hawaii in October

The Big Island is larger than all the other island combined, so weather is different depending on where you are. Winter is monsoon season - wet. Didn't experience too much wind when I was visiting Hawaii in March three years ago.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/bi.htm

http://www.weatherunderground.com/US/HI/Hilo.html

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/pr/hnl/

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...Field2=-155.99

What you've really got to worry about are earthquakes shaking your tripod. HA!

Depends where you are, and what you're doing will determine whether you notice it, but in general, you are likely to encounter wind in Hawai'i. If you have a very light camera (Toho, Gowland, etc.), you might want to take extra precautions, like an umbrella. My 8x10" Gowland turned into a box kite the first time I was out there. Now I usually bring my 4x5" Tech V, which stands up to the wind quite well.

Robert Teague, who may be around here somewhere (he's a regular on APUG.org, not sure about this forum) shoots Quickloads almost exclusively over there.

If you are going to be in Honolulu and want to purchase film locally, you can call ahead to Imageworks Photo in Kaimuki to be sure they have what you want in stock when you arrive. I believe they are the last dealer stocking sheet film in the islands.

You might look into taking along a changing bag and a few traditional holders as a back up if you're concerned about such things.

IMHO wind in Hawaii is either quite pleasant(the balmy trade winds of legend and lore) or incredibly strong (theres a cliff where Kings would throw people off, only to have the unfortunates get blown back up!)--- in which case put away your bellows camera and order a mai tai!

Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

MIke -

I went to Hawaii on 9/14 - first plane in from Portland.

We went to Maui and Hawaii (the big island). I used readyloads. Be prepared to carry on your film, don't pack it in the luggage.

Wind is wind, and yes Readyloads do have the envelope haing out. We didn't have much really windy days, but the only place I remember there being a lot of wind was at the South Point on the big island. Very windy there.

Jungle parts were not windy, but lots of mosquitoes, and desert parts of the island were much more open and with a breeze.

But mostly it was light, tropical breezes!

I hope you are going to the the Volcanos NP - if lava is flowing, walk out to where it is going into the sea. Bring the longest lense you have. And hope the wind is blowing the smoke away from you.

Kirk

Which island are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez
    I'll be going to Hawaii for the first time in less than 3 weeks. I had originally planned on taking a medium format camera that I could conveniently pack in a backpack (the primary purpose of this trip is not photography), but decided that, since I have no idea when I'll return, I'll just haul my 4x5 gear instead.

I'm thinking of using Readyloads for the trip, simply because I don't know about the cleanliness of "lightproofness" of the places I'll be staying at. I've been told that the bathrooms in my hotels don't have windows, but I'm still hesitant to count on the things being lighttight sight unseen, and there's still the dust issue.

My question is whether I'll have any difficulty using Readyloads at this time of year in Hawaii due to wind. I tried to use them in northern Arizona in some very strong winds once, and the paper envelopes just whipped around. Even if I held them in my fingers, the unsupported part would still vibrate! Obviously this wouldn't be a problem with traditional holders.

Thanks.
    On the Kona/Kohala coast, it can get very windy then. It is a very open landscape and with lots of lava in spots, so it can also be quite hot. Much, if not most of the time, the wind seems to be north to south, if that matters.

Thanks.
    It really depends upon which part of the Big Island you go to. The southern most point of the island is considered the most consistently windy spot in the US (trivia: the Moari of New Zealand, believe this is the spot that they came from). Generally, the Kona side of the island is the driest, with the Hilo side being the wettest. With the wind it depends upon whether the tradewinds are blowing or not. FWIW, I shoot almost exclusively Fuji QuickLoads, and I have never had any problem anywhere in the islands.

Also, if you give me a bit more hint on where you are going and what you want to do, I may be able to give you more advice.

My question is whether I'll have any difficulty using Readyloads at this time of year in Hawaii due to wind.

I was on the Big Island in October about six years ago. Very interesting place. Lots of scenery to keep a LF photographer busy.

The Hilo side is very wet - Hilo averages something like 140 inches of rain a year. This makes for a very lush landscape, much of it very photogenic. It doesn't rain day in and day out very often, but it's not unusual to get some rain every day. As long as you are prepared for it, it's not so bad.

The Kona side is very dry, some of it nearly desert conditions. As others have pointed out, the southern part is very windy. If you go to South Point, you'll pass a huge windmill farm. The waves at South Point are just outstanding, but I don't see how you could use a LF camera to shoot them. Both times I've been there it was a struggle just to remain standing.

That said, the rest of the island isn't wasn't bad at all from a wind perspective. Actually, from any perspective. I don't think you'll have any difficulty with quickload/readyloads. The only real difficulty you'll have is leaving!

And don't forget the volcanos. I could spend weeks just making photographs of lava in and around the National Park.

BTW, I hope you like ice cream. Hawaiians in general do excellent ice cream. I found some ginger ice cream on the Big Island in some little town way off in the north west that would knock your socks off. Best ice cream I've ever had!

You'll love it. And I think you'll love that you put in the extra effort to take the 5x4 with you. Good luck and good light!

Bruce Watson

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the winds here aren't generally too bad. October isn't too bad a time of year to visit, the light is quite nice (the sun is less harsh). Towards the end of October the rainy season starts to move in.

Thanks for all the input given so far. I think I'll march ahead with my Readyloads, even though it will be a good hit to the wallet (relative to traditional sheets and holders).

Robert, no firm plans yet. I will be in Honolulu for a couple of days for a wedding, then I'll jump over to the Big Island, where I'll split my time staying in Hilo and in Kona. I plan on visiting the volcanic stuff, some botanical gardens, and whatever else I find. It will be my first (and only) vacation of the year, so I'll just take it as easy as I can and just visit whatever strikes me, I suppose.