Hello! This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if an enlarger and flatbed scanner could be used together?

I read a few DIY articles about folks cobbling together an old scanner and a lens to back a scanning camera.

Can the same thing be done with an enlarger? Can I take a 4x5 negative and project it onto a flatbed scanner and obtain an image? The scanner would be placed where the paper would be. The projected film plane on the scanner could be adjusted with the enlarger controls to find the best focus.

I'm not sure how the enlarger optics and the scanner optics would work together. I'm not that much of a tinkerer that I would want to try and remove the scanner's optics in order to use the enlarger optics.

Anyway, just a thought. If a scanner and enlarger could work together, it would seem that scanned image quality could be improved by a factor of 2 (? slightly less, since I'm sure any enlarger would have imperfections?) if a 4x5 were projected onto a scanner and then captured as an 8x10. Best regards.

Mike