Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Keeping the focusing hood whilst making an exposure

Re: Keeping the focusing hood whilst making an exposure

Sounds like you might benefit from a workshop. You ought to check and see if there is any space in one of Paul Owen's FREE LF Workshops. I know he was planning a class next month in the Scottish Highlands.

Good luck!

I took some test shots this weekend..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/251260349/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/251257142/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/251253484/

as you can see they have problems again.. thankfully my modded patterson processor no longer lets the negs stick to the base and come up dripping purple after washing.. i also got a motorised base for the processor and developed with this on all the time.. not sure if interactions with the lines in the lid may have caused these problems... also when opening the processor one neg had moved on top of the other.. though out of the 4 developed, 3 shown online above they all have some marks on them, so i'm assuming one moving on top of the other would only possibly affect those two pictures.

I tried to keep the hood on whilst loading the slides, and pulling the dark slide.. i struggled to do this with it fully on as i couldn't access the slide.. some more practice at trying it from inside the hood properly fitted over the bellows to leave me plenty of room will be what i have to try next time i guess.

I also had the darkslides out in the light a lot as i had no where to store them.. dont think this would be the problem but i'll try to elminate the issue.. as for inserting and pulling the slides evenly, its always going to be hard to know if i'm doing this right.

I did at least get my polaroid back and so have shot one test shot with it that came out ok.. going to shoot a couple more in bright light, without even covering the back to see if i can get clean shots without any flares.. if so at least i should be able to assume the camera is ok and i'm left with

film/slides/developing as the potential causes of the problem.

Keith, you're probably right on the classes front but finding the time and money at the moment (to get up to scotland in this case) is a bit of an issue..

I'd certainly appreciate the hands on help of someone knowing what they're doing watching me make a mess of things

Jim,
    If your Polaroid worked well, then I agree your problem is likely something akimbo in the way you are handling the regular film, or the holders.

I remember my first struggles with a view camera. It takes time to develop a rythmn and workflow. I often describe how I spent an afternoon with a six pack of beer, the camera on a tripod in front me and Leslie Stroebel's book for reference as I played with all the camera controls, movements. That afternoon came long after I began working with the camera, and in retrospect, should have come first.

A good workflow is really important in helping prevent errors (such as leaving the lens before making an exposure, forgetting to stop down, not putting the film holder carefully so the camera moves, kicking tripod legs, etc.) Seems to me there was a recent thread on this subject.

For the inserting removing of the film holder and darkslide, you would probably benefit from just practicing it again and again in the daylight (without film or focusing cloth) until you can do it with your eyes closed, then add the cloth and practice some more.

Lastly, there does seem to be a vital LF community in the UK, so perhaps one of your countrymen would be able to share their knowledge.

Keep plugging away. ;-)