Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Temperature Control

Old School Wayne

Re: Temperature Control

If you try it, let us know how it works

Wayne

The simplest method of temperature control is a Jobo. I have an older CPE-2 that I bought used and it works great. This model only raises the temperature but if I put ice in the water to take it way down, the heater mechanism kicks in, and I can maintain a temperature below the normal tap water temperature quite easily. You can also develop at a higher temperature which makes the work of the Jobo even easier. I use 68F as a standard only because most of the year my tap water is around or below that.

I simple way to make a chiller is to take a smalll dorm size refridgerator. I have one here in my office I put my lunch, and drinks in.

All you have to do is make a copper coil around a 3" in pipe maybe about 3"-4" long, and run that into your bath/tank, jobo or whatever you are using.

Chillers can get very expensive. You can get a refregerator guy to make this for you for about $50-$60 bucks if you can do some of the pre work of coiling the line so they just have to put a couple shut of valves and solder this line in to the loop. Close the valves and it can still be used as a beer fridge for the dark room!

Just a thought,
    dan

Every film data sheet I've ever seen includes a chart telling you how to adjust development time for different temperatures. My experience is that these methods work pretty well. If you use something other than one of the standard developers specified in the data sheets, there are general rules about how to compensate, and one of the above responses gave a link for that.