Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: self timer/cable release

self timer/cable release

I am interested in taking self portraits with a LF (4x5) camera. I have read other threads on this topic but am still a bit confused. If I were to purchase an autoknips II and attach it onto a cable release which can do long exposure, would this work? Many of images will be created in low light situations and as such exposure will need to be longer than a second. Can anyone give me a direction (phone number, website) to find cable releases which have exposure time built into them? I have heard of prontor, but cannot find their website nor any information other than in forums and on ebay, and they do not have what I am looking for.
    Thank you for your advice,
    tjr

Re: self timer/cable release

The Prontor was not a self timer. It was a long exposure timer and is no longer made.

Most people do what you are trying to do with an air release. Kaiser makes them 16 and 32' long.

What is the difference between an air release and another type of cable release? If I were to use a 32 inch one, wouldn't my releasing the shutter also be in the picture?

That is 16 feet and 32 feet. So it won't be in the picture. The shutter is fired by air pressure through a hose rather then via a spring.

The long air-bulb releases are great for this sort of thing. They're available from most dealers for $10-$15, or so. I just bought a new one, as the one I purchased back in the late '60s finally succombed to old age. You can pretty much hide the bulb in your hand, or even operate it with your foot, if need be. There's a slight delay between squeeze and the shutter firing, but that's not a problem.

In addition to the Prontor long timer Prontor also made a self timer that could be set for 5-10-15 second delay. The long timer has numbers for the time on the dial and the self timer a stepped red/green dial. I have one of the self timers and it does work bu is someht quirky. I recommed the air release described above. I'd post pix of the self timer but, as I just moved, it is still buried.

Adorama sells a small mechanical device that sounds like what Ted is describing. You screw it into the shutter just like a cable release. It will allow you to delay the exposure for about 18 seconds. I used to own one and mine worked fine though I didn't use it very often. Costs $20. If 18 seconds is enough time this would be much more convenient than dealing with 32 foot cables. Go here: http://www.adorama.com/Search-Result...o=time%20delay. If that doesn't work go to www.adorama.com, in the search box type "time delay." It will take you there.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The long exposure Prontor units can be found on the bay every so often... but they go for well over the $350 mark!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Definitely go for the $20 timer from ador.

Old School Wayne

I thought I read that those ones you attach to the lens were a potential hazard to the shutter mechanism, that they are too powerful or something and can wreck it if you arent very careful. Dont ask me where I read that-its prbably on the web somewhere.

I have been able to use my Autoknips II for short (and delayed) time exposures, less than 10 seconds. They dont fit over a plastic cable release though, it has to be cloth.

Wayne