Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Witkin and Color Theory?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Re: Witkin and Color Theory?

I used to wear black to look hip. Now I wear it to not look so fat . . . .

is white the new black or black the new white?
    Last edited by robc; 31-Aug-2006 at 11:17.

Scott Davis

I think that black mats look ok with color prints, because they form a color-neutral barrier around the image so that you can look at the print for what it is and not have your experience of it altered by the color of the wall or the frame or the mat. White mats work ok for this too, but not as well as black, since white is reflective. Using a white mat around a black-and-white print not only boosts the effective visual contrast, but it also helps the print seem larger; an all-black mat would have the inverse effect.

I used to wear black to look hip. Now I wear it to not look so fat . . . .
    Well said.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I just object to people attaching some deep psychological significance to the color. That was my original point and I stand by it.
    I really don't accept this. There are just so many examples of where colour makes a huge difference, especially subconciously.

e.g. Red being a warm colour and blue a cold colour. Artists et al use this to make objects recede to the background with blues or come to the foreground with reds. You can't deny that is the case. Is it psychological or is it a physical part of your visual perception? Either way it happens. And western culture is full of colour references. Brides get married in white not black (unless they are Goths with all the associated connotations). The list is long if you really want to study it.

And so why black and white or colour photography? Why do we still persist in using black and white unless its because it sends out a very different message than a colour image of the same subject? But that means there is a different emotional response depending on colour. Why wouldn't an image of a field of blazing red poppies look nearly so good in black and white? Why do we love autumn colours? Would autumn have the same emotional response in black and white?

get the picture?

These perceptions happen totally subconciously and just because most people don't think or know about them doesn't mean they are not happening.

You understand that I was talking about background color right? So do you really think that a black background for a photograph suggests the dark side?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Black is associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery.
    Black is a mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, 'black death'). Black denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color (black tie, black Mercedes). In heraldry, black is the symbol of grief.

Black gives the feeling of perspective and depth, but a black background diminishes readability. A black suit or dress can make you look thinner. When designing for a gallery of art or photography, you can use a black or gray background to make the other colors stand out. Black contrasts well with bright colors. Combined with red or orange – other very powerful colors – black gives a very aggressive color scheme.
    This may be a generalisation but the black and grey web sites, which are so common amongst photographers, send out signals of uniformity and lack of imagination as far as web site construction goes. I don't think they look professional. Infact most look exceedingly amateurish. Dark side? Maybe not for me. But thats just me. My use of the phrase was just one example of many possibilities. see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    You understand that I was talking about background color right? So do you really think that a black background for a photograph suggests the dark side?
    only the sith deal in absolutes...

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    This may be a generalisation but the black and grey web sites, which are so common amongst photographers, send out signals of uniformity and lack of imagination as far as web site construction goes. I don't think they look professional. Infact most look exceedingly amateurish. Dark side? Maybe not for me. But thats just me. My use of the phrase was just one example of many possibilities. see above.
    It's a funny thing, you know. I've gotten the odd comment - criticism against, say my rather expensive milky warm grey portfolio (which I thought was the cat's pyjamas) or my off-grey this or off-grey that. I could be dead wrong, but I suspect, as photographers, we have an unnatural (dare I say perverted!) love for the grey scale that is somewhat out of tune with the rest of the population...

... or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    is white the new black or black the new white?

I really think 40 is the new 39.