Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Zone V 50% gray?

Re: Why is Zone V 50% gray?

The obvious has just occurred to me. (I think).

to answer your straight question:

Why does a digital camera record a Kodak Gray Card (Zone V) as 50% gray?
    Of course it will render a Kodak 18% grey card as K50%. It would render a 70% grey card as K50%. And it would render a 20% grey card as K50%. Regardless of orientation of the card.

There is a light meter in the camera and, as we all know, camera light meters give enough exposure to render what ever they are looking at as a mid grey. If that always turns out to be K50% then that is correct. The camera does not know what reflectance or colour your grey card is.

And by the way, an 18% reflectance card is only approx 2.5 stops less than 100% reflectance and therefore on a 10 stop scale it is between zone VII and VIII. Only on a 5 stop scale is it the midpoint.

I'll put this as a separate post to keep it simple (well, as simple as I can make it) and expand a little on what 50% means as a measurement of lightness.

The 18% reflectance of a grey card is not 50% grey, but it is 50% lightness. Light is a perceptual property, and measurements of it often attempt to reflect human perception. Sometimes it is done with a spectral response curve (lumens etc) and sometimes it is done with a non-linear response curve, as here with 'lightness' or whatever L you want to call the L of Lab.

18% grey is 18% reflectance. It is a simple physical property, with no perceptual factors.

That's why 18% is also 50%.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen Bach; 31-Aug-2006 at 18:08.

I missed your previous post.

Converting your sRGB(or AdobeRGB) file to Lab mode gives you the grey as L=50. 119RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    Converting your sRGB(or AdobeRGB) file to Lab mode gives you the grey as L=50. 119RGB.
    I must be explaining myself very badly if you need to mention that.

"18% grey, in sRGB, should have an RGB value of about 117 to 119. It would show as L=49% or 50%"

Oh poo.
    Last edited by Helen Bach; 31-Aug-2006 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph W. Lambrecht
    Helen

Thanks for your patience. Yes, I meant K=50%. I hope I didn't refer to reflectance density when talking about the monitor anywhere. I measure the relative monitor brightness with a densitometer, set to reading transmission and zeroed at K=0%. When you do that, the 50% patch reads 0.66 'density' for a gamma 2.2 monitor, which is exactly 2.2 stops darker than the 0% patch.
    I'm curious to know what kind of instrument you use to measure your monitor values. Notice that I didn't say reflectance since reflectance values of a monitor make no sense.

well I created a test file in PS with a gradient from black to white. In sRGB mode the mid point of the gradient(400 pixels along an 800 pixel image) is 128RGB. At that point the RGB brightness is 50% and L=54. Converting the image to Lab mode changes L to 50 and RGB to 119 B(brighness)=47%

I was just playing to see if understand this. I think what I did was what you said.

It comes down to how you metered. You indicated that you delegated the job to Mr. Nikon. Were you using spot metering? Did the gray card fill the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bryant
    I'm curious to know what kind of instrument you use to measure your monitor values. Notice that I didn't say reflectance since reflectance values of a monitor make no sense.

I use a regular densitometer set to transmission mode. Mine is from Heiland, but I did it with an Agfa densitometer before and see no difficulty is using any other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen
    It comes down to how you metered. You indicated that you delegated the job to Mr. Nikon. Were you using spot metering? Did the gray card fill the frame?

Neil, I think we've been there. The metering is not the issue. Use a white wall and you get the same result. The point is the camera puts an average reading at 50% gray and prints it lighter than the density of a gray card. Therefore, a gray card is not accurately represented by a digital system, and the question is WHY?

I need some clarification here.

First, is a grey card a true middle grey? If so then where's the proof. Ralph has already said:

A Kodak Gray Card represents an 'average' scene of 18% reflectance, but that has nothing to do with a mean or medium on a grayscale.
    If you don't think its a "mean or medium on a grayscale" then why do you expect it to be reproduced the same as its colour when you know that a light meter will change it to a middle grey in the sRGB colour model?