Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Patterson Orbital Processor Help

Re: Patterson Orbital Processor Help

well i have the negs in a sleeve... there are some lines of varying tone where clearly something wasn't even during development, or fixing.. also the negs still have a very clear purple tone to them.. clearly a lot of the dye remains attached.. perhaps the chemicals are needed to really get at that surface to strip it properly??

I did rinse them vigorously in the shower to try and stop the dripping of purple... so what purple is left on wasn't coming off under fairly heavy pressure of the shower.

At least some images have been obtained... sadly my scanner can't scan them properly!!! i'll have to try.

Jim,

If you take them out of the sleeves and let them sit in water (3 baths @ 5mins per bath), the stain should clear. You do not need water pressure, just a good soaking. Once the stain has cleared, put them in a bath with your wetting agent and hang them to dry again.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon I may have a go at that.. i've got one of my first scans online here

http://flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/22...7594253992034/

Its come out pretty well.. i had a problem with my negative holding pegs.. usually they clip on where there is no image.. as i was fiddling with them a lot i put them on over the image, its caused some issues.. will have to look into that for the other hangers i get to properly support at least 4 negs drying at a time.

I had to leave the neg in the medium format holder and scan both sides, joining them together to get this image.. new scanner will be required!!

Anyways its late.. thanks for the help.. hopefully next time will be no problem..

as an aside it looks like the film hasn't been too badly damaged by the peak i gave it.. thankfully i left it in its black bag when i did peak.. hopefully the rest will look ok..

I'd still love to see some shots of modded orbital processors to show me the way to fixing this problem ever happening again.

Cheers

Hi JimBob,

Another UK member here. So glad you raised this topic as I,too, am about to start processing my own 5x4 monochromes in a Paterson Orbital.

I have a book by Frances Schultz and Roger Hicks in which they actively promote using the Orbital having 'scored' the base with a battery-driven 'Dremel' tool to increase the flow of the chemicals on the underside to remove this anti-halide coating efficiently (sorry no pics). Methinks that's my next step as I don't fancy the idea of using silicone strips.

The instruction manual, and Schultz and Hicks, maintain that 100ml of each liquid is sufficient to process four 5x4 negs with continuous agitation. The 'mound' at the bottom of the Orbital has only one purpose but two methods to achieve it - agitation! Because of its dynamic shape agitation can be done manually or mechanically via a motorised attachment on top of which the Orbital sits.

I currently have a spare Orbital and motor if you are interested in purchasing them, plus I would, as a one off, photocopy the instructions for you if you send me a pre-paid SAE.

Hope the above helps.
    Barry

Barry, would you properly identify the publication about the Orbital by Schultz and Hicks? TIA

Barry.. it'd be great to know the name of the book with this mod described in it..

Also if anyone out there has a modded patterson orbital processor could you please take a picture and upload it as a guide for us about to do it..

what is the basic description... diagonal cuts along the base spread out by 1cm or so.. how deep a cut is needed? I've seen mention of some talking about using sandpaper first, why is this?

Is gently scoring it with a stanley knife or equivelant going to be ok... i'm just really nervous at puncturing a whole in it.. i guess only a mm or so depth is enough?

Sanding after cutting perhaps will smooth off all the edges so u wont scratch the negs whilst processing..

Cheers.. going to try a forum search but am sure have tried this before.

Jim, if you've got a branch of Hobbycraft near you, don't know what part of the U.K. you live in, they sell craft bits that look like beads cut in half. Superglue some of these to the base of the Orbital processor and you're on the way.
    Pete.

Interesting Pete.. I'll amend my details with my location.. i'm in Nottingham anyways.

Don't suppose again that you have a picture of your mod?

I'll do a search on the nearest hobbycraft.. what is the normal use of these half beads?

I guess super glue is tolerant of the developing chemicals and can withstand them?

Clueless and Jim,

The book I was referring to is: -

Medium and Large Format Photography: Moving Beyond 35mm for Better Pictures
    ISBN: 0817445579

Barry

Jim, these half bead things are for those idiots who watch daytime TV and call themselves "Crafters". They cut up bits of paper and glue sutff to the pieces, sell them as hand crafted greetings cards. I'm married to one, spent a fortune and sold sod all. I've had no problems with Superglue, all the chemicals that we use are well diluted and I doubt if you'll have any problems. Hobbycraft are expanding but if there is no shop in Nottingham there is one in Tamworth, I think that they have a website. Good luck, Pete.