Thread: Michigan - Upper Peninsula

Michigan - Upper Peninsula

Anyone have any suggestions for good guide books to this area?

Bruce Watson

Re: Michigan - Upper Peninsula

No guide books, but APUG member and recent LF joinee Bill Schwab is quite familiar with the area...hopefully he'll tune in to this for you.

Hey Bruce,
    How are you? You probably know of Photogragh America Newsletter by Robert Hitchman. He does have a newsletter that covers the U.P. You could order back issues from his website. I know its not a guide book, but probably just as good.
    I'll be heading up there this October.
    take care BR
    www.brianreedphotography.com

Hi Bruce - what areas do you want to visit? IMO the most productive areas are Porcupine Mts and surroundings at the west end; Pictured Rocks and the many small lakes in Hiawatha NF south of Munising. Of course there's also Tahquamenon Falls on the east side, and I like a few areas in the Keweenaw Peninsula. I typically spend most of my time in the Munising area.

I'll second Brian's suggestion of the "PA" newsletter.
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

I've actually got the Photograph America Newsletter for the UP. It's more a general treatment while I was looking for more specifics such as hiking trail descriptions. Maybe I'm asking too much, and maybe it's just that no one has bothered to create such a guide for this area. Or maybe most people already know where they are going!

If I can't find that, anyone care to tell me what is at the top of their "must photograph" list for the UP in the fall?

How about a favorite local hotel or restaurant?

Bruce Watson

Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains would be my pick, especially at peak color. Go to http://www.porcupinemountains.com for more info. There are also some great waterfalls right on the border of the UP and Wisconsin. Although I live in PA now, I'm a Michigan native and spent 40+ years there.

Bruce - lots of great areas, but my favorite would be several of the small lakes in Hiawatha NF, south of Munising. I stay at Sunset Motel in Munising. There are a number of restaurants in that town; Sydney's is good for dinner, and breakfast at Dogpatch is not to be missed. (Why a Lil' Abner themed restaurant is in Munising, I don't know...) You wouldn't be able to drag me back to the Buckhorn, however...
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Although I don't have it, there is a Falcon Guide, "Hiking Michigan's Upper Peninsula." I have Falcon's "Great Smoky Mt. NP" guide which has very good hiking info (no colorful pictures). I believe the contents of the UP guide are accessible at trails.com, too. It's a fee-based site, but you can use the 14-day free trial to check out.

Also, here're some UP sites I've bookmarked FYI:
    http://www.uptravel.com/
    http://www.superiortrails.com/lakesuperiorfalls2.html
    http://www.personalitypathways.com/r...iorfalls2.html
    http://www.upwaterfalls.com/

I live in Michigan but haven't explored UP much (afraid of trolls...or is it us living on the palm?). Have a good trip, and I hope to see some nice images:-)

Hi Bruce,
    If you are not just interested in trees, color, rocks and water, on the Keweenaw peninsula Calumet is fascinating and so is the Quincy mine at Hancock..Evan Clarke