Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

Senior for sure

Re: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

I've started scanning my B&W negs, and am blown away by the results...and I can print them on anything that will go through the printer. Scanned as RGB, printed as warm tone, sepia, selenium...Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coppin
    I've started scanning my B&W negs, and am blown away by the results...and I can print them on anything that will go through the printer. Scanned as RGB, printed as warm tone, sepia, selenium...Yikes!
    What are you scanning then with?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo
    LOL, the analogous post at APUG would be 'Am I a worthless human being if use color film?'
    As a long-time tenant of both this site and AOUG (and a moderator over there as well), I can safely state that we do not consider colour film users as second-class humans. But coulor film development questions tend to be resolved in about four posts ("This lab is great"), while black and white discussions go on for years with several religious schismas on the way.

There's a "sub-forum" for hybrid techniques too, although the ephasis there is on creating digital negatives for alternative processes.

As to the all-digital users, they're not sub-human either. More like "non-human".

I have been having a series of test prints done, and it appears that the latest generation of K3 inks and papers are achieving results so close to traditional silver gelatin that I'm finally ready to switch. So I say go for it!

Eric,

What papers are you using in your tests? What is looking the best to you?

If you use Type 55, you can pretend you are doing darkroom work, but all in the light: peel it apart, dunk it in clearing solution, wash it, hang it to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman
    Eric,

What papers are you using in your tests? What is looking the best to you?
    I am having two (same subject photographed with 4x5 Acros and 8x10 HP5+, respectively) 16x20" digital prints made on Museo Silver Rag paper with Epson K3 inks, which I will compare with conventional 16x20" fiber-based, selenium toned silver gelatin prints. The conventional prints are already done, and the digital prints should arrive by the end of the week. A previous, small test print with silver rag looked pretty good (decent dmax, tonality, and color neutrality); hence the decision to do the full 16x20" print comparison. I'll post our impressions soon after the digital prints are received.

My house and all my photo equipment were destroyed by a nasty women by the name of Katrina.
    I have replaced most of my photo equipment. However, living in a RV makes it impossible to set up a 4x5 enlarger and Slide and Negative processor. So I bought a 3.5x7ft 9ft high shed. I light sealed it, cut a hole in the side and installed an A/C.
    It works great. Not much room to walk around but I fit ok and I do have enough room to work. And it I put to straps to hold it down.