Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

Am I a complete loser if.... ?

if I digitally process scanned B+W sheet film?

Am I a waste of oxygen?

Not having the time, space, or (momentarily) inclination to do my own darkroom developing, I just send it to a pro lab nearby. I find after the development that I need to modulate the dynamic range on my own, and my only recourse is digital.

I know this may be anathema to both the skill and the romance of darkroom processing, but it's the only tool i have right now.

wfwhitaker

Re: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

If you're already feeling bad about yourself, don't ask this question over at APUG.

LOL, the analogous post at APUG would be 'Am I a worthless human being if use color film?'

I am currently in an apartment and don't have the space for a darkroom. I hesitated for a long time before buying a scanner; I used to have a darkroom and am comfortable with that workflow. But it was scan or nothing and I'm happy I tried.

I bought a refurbished 2200 from Epson for $450 and use Neutral septone NK7 B/W inks from Cone Editions. I am completely satisfied with the results.

All choice. I find that I am scaning and digitally printing more and more of my black and white. I scan all my color work. IMO, black and white digital processing now produces excellent prints. I'll leave the arguments of silver v. ink jst or Lightjet, etc. to others ... I am less interested in making my prints "look like" silver prints than in making good prints, prints that stand up for exhibition.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    If you're already feeling bad about yourself, don't ask this question over at APUG.
    LOL. On the other hand, if he posts this on APUG - gets abused, and comes back here... he'll feel like a million bucks!

FWIW, Doc... you're not the only shooter here to go the route you've chosen. I suspect there's quite a few of us here.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You're safe - it's okay - now ... relax - take three steps backwards - all set

Scan with Pride Doctor... with a modern printer set-up your inkjets may well outlive most silver prints.

DrP.
    Do what works for you. I used to process and print on the kitchen counter at night, using dishpans for trays because it was all I could afford. As Ted says, let the print you want determine the method, noth the method determine what you can do. As a prof of mine used to say, "There are artistic solutions to technical problems and technical solutions to artistic problems. Technical solutions to technical problems lead to more technical problems and artistic solutions to artistic problems lead to messes."
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    Scan with Pride Doctor... with a modern printer set-up your inkjets may well outlive most silver prints.
    it's PURELY by coincidence I'm piping in on your post, Frank..!! (ha ha) You just happen to say things I react to...!

I thought it was the word on the street that inkjet inks were failing longevity tests miserably...! (I read something on one of my conspiracy sites I think it was...!! LOL) Seriously though - guess I should find that link and get back to you.