Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am I a complete loser if.... ?

if I digitally process scanned B+W sheet film?

Am I a waste of oxygen?

Not having the time, space, or (momentarily) inclination to do my own darkroom developing, I just send it to a pro lab nearby. I find after the development that I need to modulate the dynamic range on my own, and my only recourse is digital.

I know this may be anathema to both the skill and the romance of darkroom processing, but it's the only tool i have right now.

wfwhitaker

Re: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

If you're already feeling bad about yourself, don't ask this question over at APUG.

I am currently in an apartment and don't have the space for a darkroom. I hesitated for a long time before buying a scanner; I used to have a darkroom and am comfortable with that workflow. But it was scan or nothing and I'm happy I tried.

I bought a refurbished 2200 from Epson for $450 and use Neutral septone NK7 B/W inks from Cone Editions. I am completely satisfied with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    I bought a refurbished 2200 from Epson for $450 and use Neutral septone NK7 B/W inks from Cone Editions. I am completely satisfied with the results.
    I've been using the PiezoTone inks for three years or so. Excellent prints. The K7s are supposed to be even better but I'm waiting for the selenium version before I switch over to K7.

How can working on the leading edge make you a loser? If anything it makes you a pioneer and visionary ;-)

Bruce Watson

Scott Davis

You know, all the people who are going on about how they don't have a darkroom so they HAVE to use digital for everything post-capture and/or they don't have the budget for a darkroom...
    Try some of the alternative processes, like platinum/palladium, or Kallitype or Van Dyke Brown. Yes, they're not silver, and no, pt/pd isn't CHEAP, but if you can afford to shell out the money for 4x5 film, LF cameras, and lab fees for processing sheet film, well, all the above are within your reach, and you don't need a darkroom to do them in! Get a Jobo film tank and a roller base of some sort- you can process the film in a sink or the bathtub. You can print most alt process prints in room light, since they are primarily UV sensitive. $1000 worth of scanner buys a LOT of pt/pd chemistry, paper, and sheet film. $500 worth of ink cartridges and $500 worth of inkjet paper buys you even more. Also, with pt/pd, at least, once you get over the learning curve, (IMHO faster and less steep than the learning curve for digital printing), most times you get a print worthy of calling a finished print on the first print.

The above is not to say that digital is invalid. It certainly has its place, and when I want to do color, not only is it easier than doing traditional wet darkroom color, it's certainly cheaper for printing one-offs. I'm just saying that if your reason for abandoning traditional wet-darkroom is not that you prefer or need a digital workflow, but that you feel you don't have the space/budget for it, don't limit your vision. Andre Kertesz did all of his early work as contact prints from rollfilm, processed in a family bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis
    You know, all the people who are going on about how they don't have a darkroom so they HAVE to use digital for everything post-capture and/or they don't have the budget for a darkroom...
    Try some of the alternative processes.
    If I had had sufficent space I would have installed a darkroom and would not have discovered what is possible with digital printing.

I agree that it is not suited to all subjects and of course there is a learning curve.

But the important aspect for me is that I am able to get prints using the Quadtone RIP and septone inks that satisfy me.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    If you're already feeling bad about yourself, don't ask this question over at APUG.
    LOL. On the other hand, if he posts this on APUG - gets abused, and comes back here... he'll feel like a million bucks!

FWIW, Doc... you're not the only shooter here to go the route you've chosen. I suspect there's quite a few of us here.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You're safe - it's okay - now ... relax - take three steps backwards - all set

LOL, the analogous post at APUG would be 'Am I a worthless human being if use color film?'

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo
    LOL, the analogous post at APUG would be 'Am I a worthless human being if use color film?'
    Oh, there are a few of us color shooters on APUG, but a small minority. But, we are silenty working to convert the masses.