Thread: Sick of ballheads... 3way = Arca B1

Sick of ballheads... 3way = Arca B1

OK, after too many years I realize that I am sick of fiddling with ballheads. Either I flop the camera or I fear grinding dirt into that beautiful ball. I have to be careful packing it and I end up treating it more like a camera than a freaking tripod head.

I've been using an Arca B1 since forever and want to stick with the Arca QR clamp and plates (actually RRS if possible). I don't want a geared head either (dirt, dings, and speed considerations).

What I want is a bullet proof, unbreakable 3-way head for my Gitzo 3-series that will hold a moderate sized view camera (5x7, 10-15 lbs).

G1370 M Low Profile Head Magnesium is what I want, right? Or?

What is the best way to stick an Arca style clamp on one? Is there anyone who retrofits them to take a nice long Arca clamp?
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 13-Aug-2006 at 18:46.

Re: Sick of ballheads... 3way = Arca B1

I really like the Wimberley C-30 clamp--

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/qr-clamps-main.cfm

You should be able to screw it to a 1370 head with two or three screws so it won't twist. Just be sure the stem clears the platform (which it doesn't on my 1570, but I think you'll be okay on the 1370). It's long enough to span the two QR plates I use on my Technika (one on the body, one on the bed), and very strong and smooth to operate.

Don't get a cam-lever locking clamp like the RRS (I have one on the 1570), if you plan to use it with an Arca-Swiss rail. It seems that a real A-S rail is slightly smaller than most of the aftermarket A-S type plates, and won't clamp tightly in a cam-locking clamp.

I also have a small Kirk clamp that I use on flash brackets, and it seems nicely made. One attraction of the Kirk clamps is that they come in a greater variety of sizes.

wfwhitaker

I modified a Ries J-250 head by milling some off each side of the top plate in order to accommodate a RRS Arca-style clamp (B2-Pro/L). The clamp is fully supported, but the top plate of the Ries now allows access to the clamp knob which the unmodified version did not.

Try out the 405/410 geared Bogens- you'll love their precision and lack of flops.
    jbhogan

well, not to derail, but I have a Manfrotto ballhead which was cheap enough that I don't worry about it and it completely rocks. I'd never go back to a 3-way. The camera-flopping thing is in my experience just a matter of muscle memory -- I've never flopped a camera yet, and I am neither a particularly careful nor dirt-phobic photographer. I was almost talked into much more expensive tripods and ballheads but the manfrotto stuff takes a knockin' and keeps on a rockin'. Or something.

2 things I forgot to add: they have spring- loaded "gear release" knobs on each axis which allow for super-quick gross adjustments. Your fine adjustments are quick and easy.

I've had the same 410 for 5 years, on G-1340 legs. I've never had a problem with dirt or sand fouling anything.
    jbhogan

Personally - I never got one for exactly those reasons. I prefer to mess with each axis independently. I suppose - in theory - a ballhead should be faster. But maybe just not with a human being operating one...!

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan
    2 things I forgot to add: they have spring- loaded "gear release" knobs on each axis which allow for super-quick gross adjustments. Your fine adjustments are quick and easy.
    Why wouldn't you just use a normal 3-axis head, then...? Surely the ballhead would be much heavier.

Kirk makes Arca style adapters for some heads, I don't know whether they make one for the head you want or not but that's the first place I'd look. I use the one they make on my Bogen 410 head (because I use the B1 with Arca style quick release plates on smaller formats and wanted to have the same quick release plate on my 4x5).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It aint cheap, but for the same reasons you mentioned I recently switched to an Arca B2. I never really enjoyed the lack of precision in leveling a ballhead and much prefer having the independent axes adjustments. Plus the B2 is strong enough you could probably park your car on it and not damage it.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com