Thread: Problems with Epson 4870

Problems with Epson 4870

My 4870 just started showing lines in my scans. The lines are straight and run the length of the image. Actually, the lines run the width of the image. In a portrait oriented image, the lines run from top to bottom. I scanned yesterday and did not notice any lines, but they are quite evident today. I noticed them on more than one chrome, so it is not a scratched chrome (and the chrome shows no sign of scratching).

I am using Silverfast AI.

Any ideas?

Re: Problems with Epson 4870

Harley,

Good news - while it could be something else, it is VERY LIKELY that you have some flecks of dust or dirt near the top of the scanning area ( the hinge end ) of your scanner.

When the scanner calibrates, it reads the area in the top center of the glass. If there is dirt there, it will calibrate for it, and then make lines that are in the same position as the dirt.

Clean the glass ( both the lid and the bed glass ) really well, dust it off well, and then try again. There is a good chance that you'll be okay afterwards.

Cheers!

if the "lines" are evenly spaced, then you likely have an itermittent electrical problem -- for example a washing machine running (or even your neighbor's washing machine!). The only way to eliminate this is to install a Sola constant voltage power conditioner. Article here:

http://www.digital-photography.org/S...ansformer.html

I had similar problems awhile back. The cleaning mentioned about is the first step, though if the dust is on the inside it can mean a disasembly to get under the glass. There is a proceedure for it in the Yahoo forum for Epson scanners. It works. I have done it a couple of times. There is also a proceedure in the Epson online help about streaking. It is sometimes fixed by unplugging the scanner, the USB and then the lid in a certain order. Look it up in the online support. It has solved a similar problem with mine a couple of times. I have owned a 3200, two 4870's and two 4990's. So my problems were spread over a few machines and a few years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ed and Kirk's advice is right on. The problem is neither barnd nor model specific and is common to allflatbed scanners ..... the 'calibration area' must be kept clear and clean of dust.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I recently noticed blue and/or red lines running the width of some of my scans from my 4990. Hopefully it is just an issue with the cleanliness of the glass, as I was worried that it was a more serious problem. I will try the cleaning and see if it helps...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Guys, thanks a lot for the advice! I cleaned the glass at the top of the scanner and moved my USB hub away from a questionable electrical outlet. The nefarious lines are gone.

I greatly appreciate the help. I can now get on with my project.