Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mightaswell add my own plug

Re: mightaswell add my own plug

Hello, Victor, from Indiana. Toronto is a fine place--my wife and I have been there a few times and loved it. As for old Rhodinal, I have some and no intention of using it. I've had it for over 30 yrs and it wasn't new then. If interested, PM me.
    Michael

I have a current interest in Malawi........anything I should know?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice
    I was last there in 1992, when Banda was still in power. At that time it was a wonderful place to visit, completely undeveloped, not even TV. It was then one of the five poorest countries in the world. About half of the people on the streets of the capitol city were in bare feet, as they couldn't even afford the cheap plastic sandles that most of the other half wore.

There were a million refugees from the Mozambique civil war. All that aside the people were the friendliest and happiest I have seen anywhere.

The country is very beautiful. One third of the country consists of Lake Malawi, 500 km long with 500 species of brightly coloured tropical fish. There was a place where one could rent scuba gear for a reasonable price. I went with a friend and it was spectacular, and deserted.

Lots of reasonably priced good quality accomodation, some reasonably good game parks, nothing to compare to South Africa, Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe or Tanzania in terms of wildlife, but rugged isolated and pristine.

Mind you all of this is based on my last visit in 1992.

I can give you lots more info if you are interested and perhaps a contact or two.

Are you planning a trip?
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 12-Aug-2006 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    I've heard that TRX and Rodinal is a pleasant, if somewhat grainy combination. I'll try it with TMY. I've read it's not so great, but I like to see for myself, since everyone has a different preferences.

Where have you been in Africa? I've been to South Africa, Lesotho, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Namibia and had a wonderful time. Great photographic potential.
    Zambia, the land of carjackings and beautiful evenings, burning hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James
    "DEET or don't" was my motto when traveling in Southern Ontario - even the 100% Muskol stuff wasn't enough on occasion.
    All I can say is "SKIN-SO-SOFT" - (you probably won't clue in unless you're from Canadian mosquito country)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice
    I am sure that Malawi is peaceful too. Unfortunately that may have more to do with AIDS rather than the absence of war. Malawi is the land of the nice fish for the scuba inclined, but how you're going to get an underwater case for your Canham DLC is beyond me.

Be sure that your doctor knows that you are going to Africa, he'll probably send you to a tropical medicine clinic where you can get the requisite immunizations and antimalarials. You need to take antimalarial prophylactics to avoid a very bad time. Not that you don't need to bring gaviscon anyway.

Our summer is their winter. Winter is nice, it's 20 every day and sunny in Zambia, dry, with fewer venomous snakes. I'd expect it to be slightly hotter in Malawi.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney
    All I can say is "SKIN-SO-SOFT" - (you probably won't clue in unless you're from Canadian mosquito country)
    Not just for you guys back in the woods, JW.

Cruising sailors from Newfoundland to Tierra del Fuego and everywhere inbetween have sworn by this stuff forever. Even rubbed it on the portlight screens to keep the no-see-ums at bay....when in a bay.

Never seen bigger M-bugs though than those up your way. Carry you away, Eh?

I'm pretty sure an underwater housing for a C-1 is going to be quite a machine.

I don't know if a swell might add your own plug, but welcome to the forum!