Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflex viewing hood

Re: Reflex viewing hood

I wish they made one that was reversable, and at the same time could be attached via the International Graflok back attachment sliders. That would mean that it would have to come with its own ground glass, but given the expense of some of these new, it would be worth it. For one thing, it would be relatively universal, given how many cameras come with the International Graflok back feature.

For example, I considered the binocular viewer for the Arca-Swiss Classic-F, in spite of its huge expense. Then I learned from Arca (USA) that they only work in horizontal orientationl. Scratch that!

I'm pretty good at viewing images upside down and backwards; in fact, it's second nature. But using a 4x5 for architecture, it would be nice to make that double-check and know that the image is OK. Plus, sometimes one needs to show clients what the image looks like.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 26-Aug-2006 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen
    For example, I considered the binocular viewer for the Arca-Swiss Classic-F, in spite of its huge expense. Then I learned from Arca (USA) that they only work in horizontal orientationl. Scratch that!
    Any ideas?
    Neil,

My apologies in advance if I'm being presumptous or if I'm taking your statement out of context but I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Doesn't the Arca Swiss Reflex Viewer offer both vertical and horizontal views?

With the Sinar, I just have to rotate the groundglass to change views.

Cheers,

Edwin

I don't use the T-20, but have the linhof viewer on the technika. I found it almost unusable with the standard GG. Don't test without a quality fresnel setup, which is mandatory (my opinion) when using a viewer.

Love mine BTW, but then I came from 35mm and especially med format where looking down a chimney was part of the program.

Bob

Sorry to be so long in responding to your question.

I haven't tried it myself, but that's what I was told by the Arca-Swiss dealer in Chicago. She said that the Arca binocular viewer works only in the horizontal orientation.

I was flabbergasted, given Arca's thoughtful and intelligent design.

Gerry,
    I am older than you, and find a reflex hood immensely more comfortable than the cloth.
    I use the Cambo model, I think its about 300.00+. Its great for compositing, and have not had difficulty focusing. I am sure there are better products, but this device keeps me out there shooting.
    My neck can't handle the sine curve needed under a cloth for any lengthy focusing time.
    Regards,
    Herbert

I use the Cambo Reflex Hood on my Ebony Field and the Arca Swiss Bio Hood on my Arca Monorails. I like them both since I do not like using a dark cloth. I started LF using the Cambo Reflex Hood with my first 4x5 camera (a Calumet) and when I sold the Calumet I kept the hood since I found I could have it modified for my Ebony. I probably would say I like the Arca Bio better, but I would not pass up a Cambo for $100 or less. The Cambo hood will rotate easily for horizontal/vertical compositions and I do not have a problem using the Arca in a vertical position.

I had one modified for use on my 4x5, I used it once in the back yard for a test run and put it up for sale the next day, the hood was much easier for me.

Mike

I just purchased Ebony SV45U2 and as I was searching for the Horseman Bino Reflex Hood favorite by most photographers i found it to be discontinued. So, are there equivalent or perhaps better alternatives?

I am not pushing for better price vs. convenience but rather opposite.

Regards

Hi all,
    I'm considering a linhof reflex viewer for my linhof. My only concern is that it appears to only have a 2x magnification. Is this really enough for critical focusing?