Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monorails and Backpacking! Is it possible?

Re: Monorails and Backpacking! Is it possible?

If it's a Sinar F-series camera, it's quite portable (if it's a P-series, it's heavier and bulkier). There are a few different ways to transport it. Assembled and hanging from the rail is handy for a trunk case, but bulky for backpacking.

You can put it on a short 6" rail and use and bring another 12" rail (you might already have this combination), and carry the camera compressed like a brick. This is the most solid way to carry it in a backpack.

Another method is to unclip the bellows from one standard, fold the standard with the bellows flat against the rail, raise the other standard and fold it down as well, and it's a fairly compact package for carrying in something like a shoulder bag.

Yet another method is to turn both standards parallel to the rail so it makes a flat package that fits in a briefcase.

Of course it's possible. You're only limited by what you're physically able to carry... and what you WANT to carry!

If it's the F-series Sinar... it's easy enough to collapse the entire camera and carry it in a big back pack. For example, remove the standards from the rail and wrap them up separately so they won't get damaged in transit. The rail clamps are also easy enough to remove. The only drawback to this is the time it'll takes to set the camera up again. But, again, it's not impossible to do.

I wouldn't even think about lugging the P, P2, or X around. The standards themselves weigh a fair amount. Then, there's all the other pieces of equipment in addition to the camera itself. For example, lenses, meters, dark cloth, and film holders.

If you're planning on hiking long distances, at the end of the day I'd still strongly recommend a field camera of sorts. You'll be much happier with "taking pictures" as opposed to recuperating from a hernia! Or, playing pack horse.

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    Now use a 3 lb Toho, so most dayhikes are a breeze.
    Me too. Excellent little field monorail. Full movements front and back.

Bruce Watson

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

You betcha! I did it with a Linhof Color and an Arca-Swiss Discovery for a several years. I've since switched to a folding wood field for various reasons. Wasn't that big of a deal as the Linhof and A/S were relatively lightweight and reasonably compact. Of course, going really light with a monorail you can use a Toho (see Kerry Thalmann's web site -- http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm) or a Gowland Pocket View ( http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html ).

What you also could do, since you have the Sinar case (the ones I have seen are fairly light), is get a Kelty Freighter frame:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=256967

Then you can strap the Sinar Case to the frame.

Thank you all for your responces. Being so new to the LF community, I have many unanswered questions that I must either ask myself or help from others.

I am planing a 3 day trip around the Great Sand Dunes. Call it crazy... but I think I've figured out a way to pack it.

Putting a protective barrior around the camera itself and sliding the body all the way up the monorail thus enabling me to place the camera in something soft like a sleeping bag and sliding the monorail down into the rest of the pack. I can pack around the camera and work with extras. I'm packing extreamly light from there on in. I'm in great shap (as I ride a Pedicab, or a rickshaw for a job) and I'm ready to go.

Call me crazy, but this is where I want to show at: http://www.cameraobscuragallery.com/

I'm beginning to like this place. You'll be seeing more of me.

-R

I've packed my Sinar for 100s of miles (20-30 miles at a time). I "close" the camera onto a 6 inch rail and put a constructed foamcore cover over the lens and ground glass and stuff all that into a ripstop bag. I keep everything else (lenses, meter, etc.) in ripstop bags. I found it easier to save weight buy cutting back on food, buying a high quality down bag, and lite tent. Oh yeah, and I now decant the wine into a water bottle.

If you haul a rickshaw around Denver you are not in great shape. You are a machine!

Stats please...?

Well, I'm a 105lbs. weakling, and I carry my Arca-Swiss F-metric 8x10 in a Lowepro Phototrekker AW II. If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.

Amateur et bon vivant

Bag or Back-Pack suggestions for Arca-Swiss Field 4x5?

Can anyone suggest a brand or model of back-pack or camera bag that's really good for an Arca-Swiss Field 4x5 with a few lenses etc?

It has a short collapsible rail, but I will probabaly also buy one of the extension rails.

Thanks!