Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

My apologies..................

Not to belabor(sp?) the point, but I feel like I let myself drift from my original thought and that is about simple civility. I know a couple of well known photographers, who participate in this forum under psuedonyms. They do so for two reasons. One is to ask questions they fear will be perceived as dumb or to say outrageous things that they will not be held responsible for.

I think both reasons are pathetic and they get my dander up every time I see them post. That unfortunately has colored my perception of everyone who uses a psuedonym here.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'm tongue-tied... simply tongue-tied.

I have a cleverly devised pseudonym that I use on the web that no one will ever figure out. It gives me a feeling of warm safety to know I'm anonymous and protected.

~nadroJ sirhC

Kirk,

so you mean Gasteazoro is really Robert Adams?

And Petronio is John Sexton?

Damn

John Sexton sometimes logs into APUG as "John Sexton." I think he's shown up here, too, if I recall. Jock Sturges also posts under his own name occasionally on a few different forums.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    John Sexton sometimes logs into APUG as "John Sexton." I think he's shown up here, too, if I recall. Jock Sturges also posts under his own name occasionally on a few different forums.
    Now - if ya wanna talk about people who 'need to hide under a pseudonym' - Jock Sturges.... AHEM!!

Paul Cocklin

Didn't you folks ever read Vernor Vinge's "True Names and other Dangers"?

Great early seventies sci-fi short stories book that not only predicted the developement of the internet but took it one step farther.

And incidentally, I'm pretty computer-moronic and hadn't realized that when I was picking a login name it was going to be used as my screen name. Just 'cause I'm a moron with computers doesn't mean I'm hiding anything.....or does it?

Paul Cocklin
    Last edited by Blueberrydesk; 12-Aug-2006 at 21:57.

Identity preservation/security. When you log on to the network either from home or office or wherever, is your password and screen name both the same, and is it your real full name? The name I use here is real first name, last initial. It was chosen FOR me by LF forum admins. On other sites, I use a different name (same on all of them), have an alternate e-mail on one of the free internet mail sites, and when I receive email under that name, it goes directly to trash. Simplifies life, eliminates spam and garbage.

". . . . I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. . . ."

Mr Laban, I understand that you speak "with tongue in cheek"?

Many who make posts on this forum are really wanting information and if professional teachers are willing to help gratis I think their knowledge is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by John Louis
    ". . . . I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. . . ."

Mr Laban, I understand that you speak "with tongue in cheek"?
    Firmly ;-)