Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

I also use a pseudonym but when people contact me directly via email... I give them my real name!

Frankly, if I communicate with one of the members here and they don't respond with their real names... I usually will ask them for it. And, I've never had anyone refuse. So, IMHO, it's not a huge issue!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.
    Who cares if you take them seriously or not? At least you've let it be known what the requirement is for anyone wishing to apply to your list of accepted people. It seems to me that linking ones commerical web site via the signature is well, rather commerical; a sort of advertising. Indeed, that is fair enough as many who do that (such as you, KG ) are artists as well as professionals. At first blush, I find the web site links in the signature to be much more offensive than pen names, as it appears to be a way to boost search engine rankings by having links from a popular site. In your case, Kirk, I forgive you because you are at least doing everything you can to make it in this tough business - when I first saw the links though, it did make me wince.

So what bugs one person is not universal, one mans utopia is another mans dungeon.

In some cases, the pseudonym becomes a brand itself, as the author's posts are often good. Over time, many of us deal with the various people and learn their "real" names, which is nice. If the brand, the pen name or whatever, produces good thoughts and information, that deserves some respect and some appreciation for at least the entertainment they provide along the way too. I enjoy many of the writings of many of the psuedonym people as well as those with initials and partial names.

Many of us DO have images on the web and in print elsewhere. Images that we sold as parts of jobs, images that we don't get credits for, from clients who have contracts excluding the use of their company name for vendor publicity. Some of us have private web sites that share materials that do not have sufficient property or other releases to put on a web site legally.

In my case, my account was set up that way as I didn't know whether I would be involved in this board or not. After thinking about it, I decided that my first name and last initial, which are real, are more distinctive as there are others on the net with the same name as me who do different things. Like others, my interests on this board are not professional, and I would like to keep my full name separate in the search engines from this board, for professional reasons, as well as some small added security. Camera gear is expensive, and time is valuable too. Most everyone who has written me any kind of personal letter or dealt with me knows my real name, and they had a need to know it. It's not because there is anything to hide.

Seriously though, when I evolve to the point where I feel the need to have great photographers take me seriously, if that ever happens, I'll certainly send my full name and point you to my images. I won't hold my breath as to acceptance.

This is a nice, generally gentleman/gentlelady-like board where there is a good spirit, a good deal of candor and a weath of knowledge. Does it really matter that we have full legal names and ( if you care about them being truthful ), a verification system?

Meanwhile, you can laugh at me all you want when you see a post without a web site or a full name attached - that's your choice, and count on me to defend your right to make it.

Because he's a cool guy ;>)
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Thank you Ed, for so thoroughly illustrating my point.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Between here and there

For some strange reason I go by my real name on this forum, but on every other one (APUG, RFF, etc) I am known as Jerevan which is my handle and has been for something like ten years or something. I don't have a problem with nicks or aliases, for me it is part of the net culture.

Namewise, you can be yourself (as in using your real name) or you can use something else you like - but in the end people know you by whatever name you may choose and bad (or good) behaviour will follow you around, no matter what nickname you may choose - word goes, indeed...

I use one as I don't want people to search for my name for work-related areas, and find naked models.

T Blair.

Only joking (the name that is), but the reason is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    Thank you Ed, for so thoroughly illustrating my point.
    I thought Ed made an excellent and thoroughly convincing point. Are you upset because he called you out?
    Last edited by JW Dewdney; 11-Aug-2006 at 17:59.

Obviously, there are different points of view on the issue. Some prefer to hide or obscure their real identity for various reasons (either valid, perceived, or nefarious), while others prefer to be up-front and "honest" in their Web postings. Even though we "officially" encourage people to use their real names on this forum (largely for the reasons Kirk stated), we understand that some feel otherwise. That's fine.

To use the reciprocal of the original question as an example, many years ago, I chose to use my real name on the Internet because:

1. I felt it was more honest,

2. I often hired models over the Internet, where being able to track the "Net personna" to a real person was an essential part of avoiding no-shows,

3. I considered whatever Net presence I might develop as part of my professional "branding", and

4. I compensated for any additional risk by installing a good, monitored alarm system and using a large safe for my camera gear. (Anyone good enough to break the six-number combination won't be going after old cameras, and those who aren't will be defeated by the 900 pound (empty) weight and the fact that it's bolted to the concrete floor.)

So, while I understand the various reasons people may have for using "handles", I also take my hat off to those who have the guts to be themselves on the Net. Besides, would any of you believe that I used the name of Alexander Gardner during the Civil War, and that I'm an imortal?
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 11-Aug-2006 at 19:26.

In addition to restricting access to this forum to only those using their real name I would like to suggest that we also extend this to those who can prove a level of competence in image making.

On the basis of 'those that can do and those that can’t teach' I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. Personally I'd also deny access to anyone with a name like Dirk or Dick but accept that this could be seen as a step too far.

The following link is blatant advertising and I would therefore recommend that people regard anything that I have to say as complete bollox particularly as I also demonstrate an inability to spell and tpye.

I reckon that those who insist on real names have an unhealthy preoccupation with identity. Usually follows that looking at their web site shows their name in vastly over emphasized lettering which just says "Look at me". Something to do with ego I think and that others don't want to play by their rules.

p.s. I also talk bollocks but can spell(some of the time).