Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

I don't really know why I use one - suppose I got fed up using my real name.

Anyway my main ones are: -
    a)FEETHEA - it's Greek for 'snake' I believe and was called that when I changed departments at work without telling my work colleague who accused me of "sliding out of the office under the door like a snake"
    b) GONAD - my on-line gaming name. 'Nuff said really - "Gonad's gonna get ya!"

Some of us have names that are so common there are frequently several people with the same name on a forum. For instance, in the years I've been on APUG there have been at least two other people with my same given name. Thus, I use initials and the nickname from the Hispanic side of the family.
    juan

FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.
    Personally, I think not being able to properly spell in what is presumably one's native language and/or not being able to use a spell checker impinges on one's credibility.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Re: Who Cares?

Because I'm really Edward Steichen. Or was it Imogen Cunningham? As long as people are having civil conversation about large format photography on this forum, I couldn't care less if the participants use their real name or a nom de plume. I use my real name on this forum because of the decent people here. I don't on most other forums . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C
    Personally, I think not being able to properly spell in what is presumably one's native language and/or not being able to use a spell checker impinges on one's credibility.
    At least he makes nice pictures.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    FWIW,

Again, what does any of that have to do with which name you use? You can put up a website in any name you like - I have registered domains using "bobf" in them for various purposes, as well as as several using my given name - what does either prove? I'd certainly agree that being able to see people's work, albeit filtered through the screen resolution of a computer, is useful (I post some scans of my prints on APUG for that very reason) - but how does knowing those images are the work of Robert Franklin (or Robert Furrier, or Robert Faulkner etc etc etc) make any difference from knowing them as the work of Bobf? I am genuinely confused here.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other word would smell as sweet."

Willie had it covered in the 16th century...

I do wonder where this fixation that some have on finding out people's given names comes from. It does seem a very strange concept that you "know" someone online by knowing the name they were given at birth (assuming the name they are using is indeed that - which you can't) and yet this same individual is suspect because they use their first names or some token they have invented for themselves.

Of course, you are perfectly entitled to feel that way, but clearly there is not, by any means, a unanimous view on the subject.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Bobf; 10-Aug-2006 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Geert
    At least he makes nice pictures.

G
    Well, yes: that is mainly the point. Would the pictures suddenly drop in quality if they were made by the same person who happened to be known as KirkG on the Internet?

I suspect not.

Cheers,

Any crook can make a pretty good shopping list by just reading most days postings here. Just a thought.

The internet has had names of all sorts forever. It's had it for reasons of privacy. It's had them for reasons of equality. It's had them because some people just like to pretend .

This isn't a forum that needs to protect people from certains kinds of personal invasions. But I wonder how often somebody from Kodak,Fuji etc wouldn't mind posting here in a non-offical capacity. Without getting hassled for something a guy above them did?

I wonder how many women post as males to avoid getting hassled? Or just to not be talked down to?

BTW Unless somebody puts in some sort of check system don't believe John Smith is any more of a real name then Pluto or Snoopy. They are just a combination of letters.

My filters are not the same as yours, what I see seems true now (for me) just as what you see is true for you. As I'm in a witless protection program that precludes the use of my "real" name, I use my real name but nobody believes it. It's like the best place to hide an elephant is in the middle of a three ring circus. Recently, the moderator of a prestegious forum that requests real names be used, asked me to use a false name. (So that he would not have to deal with complainers that point out my apparent false name?) Actually, I am Clueless.