Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

I don’t use a pseudonym. My name is good enough. Other than mentioning location beneath my avatar, I don’t reveal additional personal information unless I choose to include it in a post. Anonymity won’t prevent someone from tracking me down to stealing my equipment, and they are highly unlikely to be a forum member.

Interestingly, I have noticed that many of those who choose pseudonyms however reveal additional information in their posts. They will sign off with a name or put their name in the signature line. They will also mention in a post, details about the area they inhabit, although they have not specified location.

It is helpful to know where people live as it better aids in the understanding of what they are photographing. It also helps for organizing group activities if there are other members in the locality. We have networked several members in the Pagosa-Durango area. If you are in southwestern Colorado look me up. At least have coffee. I am listed in the Southwestern Colorado phone book.

I enjoy the collegiality of this forum. It is a wonderful resource for discovering information about photography. I also enjoy helping others, providing information from my personal experience and knowledge. I find it easier to relate to posters (like Sandy King, Ken Lee, Kirk Gittings, Jim Galli, Ole Tjugen, Frank Petronio, Rick “Always confused about his middle name” Denny, et al) who use their real names and who are highly respected on this forum.

I find camaraderie here similar to being in a work environment or participating in activities with friends. I find it awkward to be introduced to someone who insists on using a pseudonym. That is not being petty. It is a courtesy. I'm with you, Bruce.
    al

I use a pseudonym, but sign my posts with my name. Between my wife and myself we have 6 email accounts. My pseudonym is used for this site only. This keeps the daily emails manageable.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coppin View Post
    When I first joined this forum, there were only a couple of active "Paul"s, and that's who I was for quite awhile. Other mother's sons with no family originality have now clouded the scene some...
    Could have been worse!

You could have been named Bob.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrydesk View Post
    Didn't you folks ever read Vernor Vinge's "True Names and other Dangers"?

Great early seventies sci-fi short stories book that not only predicted the developement of the internet but took it one step farther.

And incidentally, I'm pretty computer-moronic and hadn't realized that when I was picking a login name it was going to be used as my screen name. Just 'cause I'm a moron with computers doesn't mean I'm hiding anything.....or does it?

Paul Cocklin
    Seems to me the concept of "handles" or pseudonyms goes way back... long before the internet or even the thought of its development. Those of us in amateur radio and CB operators from the very early days all used (and continue to use) handles as identifiers.

I use Bob G. in signing, not to be secretive, but because I'm lazy and don't feel like typing my full name all the time. And my 1960s radio handle is (somewhat) inappropriate. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    This was a sort of interesting thread and I don't want to get into it again but I honestly never ever considered that posting my real first name and real last initial might cause someone to doubt either my character or sincerity- I just more or less randomy decided to go with that rather than Rat Vomit, say. But, enough - I just want to say that there is something that bothers me more than whether one uses a psedonym or not (and I have no problem with pseudonyms; I feel that I can get to know people from their posts whether they post as Andrew or Dagor77 or whatever, just as an invented example)(I do worry about Mark S./Squirrel Nuts though). The thing that I am referring to is when you click a poster's name to view their public profile, there's nothing there. I'd really like to get to know a lot of people at least that way and it's frustrating to see...nothing! Thanks for listening.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think rats can vomit. Can they?

Bob G.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think rats can vomit. Can they?

Bob G.
    Good question. That was the name of a rock band I was in way back in the ....um...back in...time...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Good question. That was the name of a rock band I was in way back in the ....um...back in...time...
    Good one.

I too coined a name for a rock band some time ago.

"Woofie and the Toads"

Has a special meaning for a few of us who worked together in the 90's...

But will have to wait for my next lifetime I guess for me to use it. Too much arthritis in the wrist and thumbs for me to play my guitars anymore. So the vintage Guilds and Gibsons now sitting idle in the closet.

Bob G.

When I have taken the title, "Emperor of the Earth" and assumed my rightful place on the throne, THEN you may learn my real name.

Until then, you shall know me only by the pseudonym seen here.

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crap....... that is my real name, isn't it? Oh well, please vote for me for emperor. There's a cushy job for whoever casts the most votes.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

My band was a quartet named the "Nick Haters"

"Tonight we introduced as a new band of four college students. Please give it up to the four 'Nick Haters'!"

That would happen about once at each new venue. Go figure ...
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    My band was a quartet named the "Nick Haters"

"Tonight we introduced as a new band of four college students. Please give it up to the four 'Nick Haters'!"

That would happen about once at each new venue. Go figure ...
    Did you have a theme song?

Ours was going to be "My Sweet Toads" with adapted lyrics and sung to music of the famous George Harrison tune.

Again... a special meaning for a few of us and no sacrilegious intent.

Bob G.