Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Pro

Doug Dolde

Mac Pro

Talking Re: Mac Pro

I need two!

Re: Mac Pro

I configured a dream system all maxed out: $16,500 or so. But I really need those twin 30-inch displays and 16 Gb RAM ;-)

What is especially impressive is that they cost less than a comparable Dell high end config, and undoubtedly are better built. So even PC people are going to be looking at these for workstations... and they may never boot in OSX!
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 7-Aug-2006 at 13:46.

Yawn . . . how many angels can dance on a processor. Yet another computer destined to be outmoded in twelve to eigthteen months. Other than PIXAR or someone doing 3-D animation, how many photographers are so backed up with work and impossibly busy that saving a few minutes a day will help them out? When it comes down to it, despite claims of two to four times faster, real world tests rarely show more than a few minutes a day improvement in working efficiency. Bottom line is that if you need to replace your old machine, getting brand new might be a great idea. Of course, the geek in many of us always longs for the ultimate of anything . . . oh well, just be careful what you wish . . . . . . .

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Wink Re: Mac Pro

Just goes to show how wrong all those mac users were for all those years in beleiving all the marketing hype about the performance of macs. Now they move to intel and everything is soooo much better. But then mac users were always suckers for marketing hype...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    I configured a dream system all maxed out: $16,500 or so. But I really need those twin 30-inch displays and 16 Gb RAM ;-)

What is especially impressive is that they cost less than a comparable Dell high end config, and undoubtedly are better built. So even PC people are going to be looking at these for workstations... and they may never boot in OSX!
    Heh, the real irony is: they'll still be running the best Windows AND Unix machine available.

Notice that the new Xeon-based XServe is also available.

The circle is almost closed now, only waiting for Adobe to release the CS3. Should happen by March, could happen sooner, maybe even in time for the Sales Season...

Wink Re: Mac Pro

"the real irony is: they'll still be running the best Windows AND Unix machine available."

OSX is based on Unix.

Who would want to run Windows? You wouldn't see a clear "Vista" for a while. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan
    Who would want to run Windows? You wouldn't see a clear "Vista" for a while. HA!
    Well, people do the damnest things, most of them not very rational. Speaking of which, that proved to be a very aptly chosen name - it's moving at the same approximate speed.

Well, I'll forego - for now. I've already blown my was on my apple dream system in 1994 (I think it was...)

Macintosh Power PC 7500 - $3200
    64Mb RAM - $3400
    Radius 32 bit Video Card (forgot model) - $2400
    Sony 17" GDM 17SE1 monitor - $1200
    FWB JackHammer SCSI card - $850
    2x 7200RPM Barracuda HDs (500MB?) - $2000 (? - can't quite recall)

so, not counting software... hmmm... that makes ABOUT $12,500.
    Hey - don't knock it! It's 100MHz!!!

Silly me.
    Last edited by JW Dewdney; 7-Aug-2006 at 17:20.

LOL

Spent $15K in 1989 on a Mac II with dual floppies and 8 mb RAM, 20 mb HD, a Radius 24-bit video card driving a 13-in monitor, GCC Postscript printer, Kurzweil grey scale scanner (400 dpi?), Syquest drive, Abobe Pagemaker, Aldus Freehand, and Digital Darkroom. Photoshop wasn't out yet ;-)

The cool thing about some of the Macs is how long you can get out of em. My IIci was productive for ten years, finally ending up as a print server after several upgrades. It had over 75,000 hours on it.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 7-Aug-2006 at 18:17.